I hate walmart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate walmart

we took my gfs car to walmart for a oil change while we were shopping ,long story short they stripped my oil pan,im very upset,they told me they would pay for it,but now i have to get rides to shops bring them price qoutes,oh and i was stuck at walmart for 3 hours
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

The jetta?

2.0?

Yeah...the oil pans on these things are very soft. Every single 2.0 vw has a leaky oil drain plug. Either get an oversided or replace the pan.

Or, get a easy drain (twist type) oversized and put it in so you'll never have to use a wrench. It's not pressurized so it doesn't hurt.

At least you're not like this Sorento on my lot that Walmart did an oil change for and forgot the oil...just for the ok to put an engine in.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

lol...When my wife worked at Walmart, there was a yahoo that put 16 quarts of oil in an explorer because he thought it was a diesel...I kid you not...Needless to say the thing hydrolocked as fast as you can say "you're fired". Oh and he was the f.n.g. and wasn't fired...
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

Buy a pair of ramps and do the work yourself. Failure to do that will likely result in what you just experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Buy a pair of ramps and do the work yourself. Failure to do that will likely result in what you just experienced.
          +1

I've always done my own oil changes. My Father warned me about the quick lube places years ago.

Now days the only things I don't do myself are new tires (install and balance), and alignments. I just don't have the equipment. Although, the last time I had to have my alignment done (new struts) the tech said I had it almost perfect, I think it was the right front that was a hair out.

I also go to a shop where I know one of the managers. I've got 3 to choose from.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
          '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
          Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

It's a shame that we can't trust others to do good quality work on our cars. I try not to let anyone touch my cars.
            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I'm with everybody else, do it yourself. I work for a dealership, and I've only let one oil changer work on my van one time. He put the oil filter on so tight that even he couldn't get it back off. He had to get a wrench out. And I made him loosen it too as there is no sense in putting a filter on so tight you need a freakin' ratchet to undo it. The only exception is a diesel truck, as they will (and have) vibrate the filter off the engine.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I do my own oil changes, and pretty much everything else. The ONLY time I've let people work on my vehicles was for tires/alignments or if I simply don't have time to collect the parts, get into the garage, do the work, and go get an alignment or whatever. Oh, and one time when all 4 balljoints were bad on my old Jimmy - I didn't know what I was doing, so I had a shop do it (same guy who does my alignments, so I trust him - but I watched him and know what I'm doing now).

I agree that there's no excuse for stripping a pan out, nor is there an excuse for putting an oil filter on so tight you couldn't immediately take it out. I generally tighten it until I can't turn it any further by hand. Unfortunately, even when oiling the o-ring, I can never get it back off after 3k miles without a wrench - or, in the case of my truck, the stupid engineers put it in there in such a way I have to have a wrench because I can't get my hand on it.

Comment

I do the changes myself unless I get free changes in the mail from Acura. Then I'll take it to the stealership and ask for a specific guy. Two of them are my brother's friends and they take care of it while I'm there as they know my car. Places like Wal-Mart, Jiffy Lube, etc... Avoid them at all costs. Even if they hold themselves responsible for their (common) mistakes, those are only the problems that surface right away.

Quick example - My friend had an '02 Durango V8. He never understood why I changed my own oil or brought it to a trusted person to do it. He always told me "It's just a simple oil change". He went to the Jiffy Lube down the road and "never" had a problem... Until about three weeks after one of his changes, his engine started knocking very loudly. Long story short, his engine went south due to lack of oil. Turns out they never put the full amount in his pan, but he couldn't prove it.

He changes his own oil now.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                    It's a shame that we can't trust others to do good quality work on our cars. I try not to let anyone touch my cars.
                    I second this one. If I cant fix it then I have to but thats very rare. sually its for say Exhuast or Alignment but nothing more. I do ALL the rest. Those people that do those oil changes dont know what they are doing.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

$595 dollors to fix,Walmart said they need to contact there insurance company,could take a couple days
                      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                        $595 dollors to fix,Walmart said they need to contact there insurance company,could take a couple days
                        That sounds like their problem.

My mother took her Grand Marquis to a dealership (which was a SVT authorized dealership) and they used an impact gun on her oil pan plug. She got home and saw the oil leaking out of it and took it back. They had to put a new pan on it.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                          they used an impact gun on her oil pan plug.
                          You've got to be kidding me!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                            That sounds like their problem.

My mother took her Grand Marquis to a dealership (which was a SVT authorized dealership) and they used an impact gun on her oil pan plug. She got home and saw the oil leaking out of it and took it back. They had to put a new pan on it.
                            I don't know how Ford operates, but I know with Chrysler, that whole "5 Star" dealership means zero. It's supposed to be based off of service excellence and knowledgeable sales staff.

My brother has been the parts manager for a Chrysler/Jeep dealership for 12 years. He said they base it off of sales in the area and that's it. When his stealership was awarded the 5 Star title, they had the longest list of complaints for service and satisfaction. However, they sell the most of any Chrysler stealership in the area.

Maybe the SVT authorization is more involved, but judging by your mother's experience, maybe not.
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                              I don't know how Ford operates, but I know with Chrysler, that whole "5 Star" dealership means zero. It's supposed to be based off of service excellence and knowledgeable sales staff.

My brother has been the parts manager for a Chrysler/Jeep dealership for 12 years. He said they base it off of sales in the area and that's it. When his stealership was awarded the 5 Star title, they had the longest list of complaints for service and satisfaction. However, they sell the most of any Chrysler stealership in the area.

Maybe the SVT authorization is more involved, but judging by your mother's experience, maybe not.
                              I can attest to this. When I first got my Viper, I took it to a local Dodge dealer. It was the one sponsoring the local Viper club. We had our meetings there and such. I took the car in for some warranty work. It appears that they pushed a tool cart around the front of the car and put about a 7 or 8 inch scrape around the front fascia. They were a 5 star dealership.
                              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X