Tire valves cracking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire valves cracking

I noticed recently that the tire valves (not the originals) on my 1998 Trans Am (17" wheels) are cracking and need to be replaced. Does anyone know the specifications for these valves so the repair shop knows what to order?

Thanks.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

It seems like Ken made a post a while back about recalled tire valves.

Here it is
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Yeah, I was remembering the same thing- a massive recall for sub-standard chinese valves that flooded the market- because they were cheap- usually get what you pay for- they make some rather expensive fancy metal ones, too- go to a reputable aftermarket wheel shop and see what they have- this is one place I would rather go to the experts than try and save a dollar or two at Wally world-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
        Yeah, I was remembering the same thing- a massive recall for sub-standard chinese valves that flooded the market- because they were cheap- usually get what you pay for- they make some rather expensive fancy metal ones, too- go to a reputable aftermarket wheel shop and see what they have- this is one place I would rather go to the experts than try and save a dollar or two at Wally world-
        I did not knowingly buy cheap valves, not for my expensive tires and wheels. When you get new tires, you also have them change the valves. It never occurred to me at the time to ask if they were inferior imports. How would you know, at least until recently?

Still, if I can determine the proper size/specs of the valves, I can have them ordered and available for me at my local repair shop (where I did not buy the cracking valves).
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

tire valves are standard size for all O.E. rims... just get ones that have metal stems instead of rubber, and get short stems..not long.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I run the metal valves on my ZR1's. Look a lot better than rubber too. NHRA mandates metal valves on drag wheels, even with tubes.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
              tire valves are standard size for all O.E. rims... just get ones that have metal stems instead of rubber, and get short stems..not long.
              Thanks, Wolfie. That's what I needed to know.
              R.i.K.

Comment

Working...
              X