Questions about my new dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my new dog

well i rescued a dog last saturday got him checked at the vet for the "chip" and nothing im taking him next monday to get him checked out by the doc. the biggest prob im having now is when i walk him he doesnt wanna take a poo. and he only pees a little bit in each spot. but i woke up this morning to two lovely yellow spots about two feet apart on my carpet and a nice little pile a brownies lol. i live in an apartment. im just wondering if they had dogs that used the floor as the bathroom and if he smells that. i have him on pedigree which we always used on all our dogs growing up. and hes eating fine. i was wondering since where i walk him there isnt alot of grass due to it being an apartment complex. can someone please help me here
    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
    GOT PSi?
    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

I would say just be a little patient. Depending on how long this particular dog has been on it's own and how he has been treated previously it may take a little time for that trust bond to form and for him to learn "the rules".

When he does go outside while on the leash give him positive enforcement and just clean up the messes for now. Negativity or reprimands don't work.

In the meantime look for a pet stain remover that has enzymes for the carpet. That will help in neutralizing the smell. Be prepared to pony up for a pet deposit as well.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

You HAVE TO get that smell off the floor or he's tuned-in to go there.

Take him out more often, at least 5 or 6 walks a day. Make sure he gets green grass; dogs hate to go on the pavement.

Buy a dog, travel crate with a gate. Put something soft on the bottom and put him in there at night. Then in the morning, take him straight out the door on a leash to a grassy area.

You have to do your part. He won't "get it" on his own.

This will work. I've had many dogs my entire life and know.

Comment

well its hard to take him out alot during the day i work from 0530 to 430 thats when im not home. so i just keep all the doors closed. i dont want to lock him in the bathroom or anything but im thinking about it cause itll be easy cleanup. but you guys think i should just wait it out and see if he gets over it?
        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
        GOT PSi?

Comment

teach him to use news paper indoors only......... find a spot where you can do that.

then...the positive reinforcement outside...and the negative voice inside when he does it anywhere but on the paper.

you cant expect him to go all day long ...........without relieving...

now, one option is to crate him.....

google "crate training" and read up on it.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

ok thanks ken. does it matter that he is older. when i took him to the vet they told me he looked between 3-5 years old. they couldnt narrow it anymore then that.
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            GOT PSi?

Comment

What kind of dog is it? Is it a puppy? A treat is a HUGE must when he goes to the bathroom outside. Don't forget to praise him too!

Everything takes time. Just be patient and the reward is worth it at the end.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

honestly he looks like your lil pup with some rott. in him i see it in his face the vet and everyone i talk to we are thinking maybe between 3-5 so not old but not a pup. so i guess i will pick up some treats this weekend. when i get paid. i just gave him a bath and ummm yea the bottom of my tub was like dark brown cause he was sooo dirty. but now he smells soo good. guys im really sorry for rambling on i am just soo happy cause im only 19 i have my own appartment my own car and everything is in my name no co-signers for anything. i have a dog. to be perfectly honest i enjoy having alot of responsibilities and i like to ramble on. im sorry guys ill stop now. thanks for all the help with the puppy i will keep you guys up to date on him o yea his name is Brutus. i will try to get some pics up also
                94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                GOT PSi?

Comment

No reason to apologize, that's what we're here for. At 19, you've accomplished more than most of us at that age. Especially me.
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

thanks man i appreciate it.
                    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                    GOT PSi?

Comment

I'll agree with what everyone here has said... Crate training is almost a must. I did it with all three of my dogs (2 Jack Russells, 1 Golden). It worked perfectly with all three. Above all else, be patient. You have to remember he has done it "his way" for a few years now. You'll get him to learn your way.

You've done a great thing by rescuing him. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to ramble on. We do it all the time.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'll echo what everyone else has said - training a dog (especially an older one) takes time and patience. A dog that's been on its own for some time is even harder, but the reward is worth it.

I do agree that crate training is a MUST. All our dogs are crate trained and will sleep in them and be quiet if we need them to. They don't like it, obviously, but the pure joy on their faces when you let them back out of the cage is worth it.

Comment

at that age, you are still good to go, broh. when they get around 10 or so..thats when it becomes almost hopeless...

breed has a lot to do with it too...

hang in there, you will succeed!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

hey thanks guys
                            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                            GOT PSi?

Comment

Good news guys. my dad was looking at the newspaper from my hometown today and someone posted and ad in the lost and found that depicted the dog to a tee. so i believe i found the owners. im returning the dog friday. they were soooo freaking happy.
                              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                              GOT PSi?

Comment

Working...
                              X