Road Test of a Pontiac G5 coupe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Test of a Pontiac G5 coupe

It was one of those chance meetings that turned out to be a bitter sweet ending. The day didn't start out as planned. You know that ad on TV for Enterprise Rental that says "We'll pick you up?" Well not in Sebring on Saturdays. Great, now I'm going to be running behind. Once I picked up the 2008 Pontiac G5 coupe, the 1100 mile trip began. The first 550 miles were a mix of day and night driving as well as rain. The return 550 miles was an experience in sheer hell on earth for drivers. Imagine a traffic jam where you stop and go with a mximum speed attained of 20 mph........ that lasts for 300 miles. I hit a patch of black ice and barely managed to stop..... then almost got crunched by a semi behind me that was trying to stop and hit the black ice. If I hadn't seen him coming, hit the gas and drove off the side it would have been ugly. He came to rest right where I had just been sitting. Everything had been thrown at this car from crappy weather to the worst traffic jam I've ever seen and it didn't skip a beat.

In spirited driving, it needs a little more tire. They just don't quite instill the confidence when you push the motor. With a suspension makeover, this could be an eye opener. The motor revs freely and pulls quite well from 4000-6500.

the pluses:

*Ecotec engine gives spirited performance.
    *Good fuel economy even at elevated speeds
    *Decent interior room with ample trunk
    *Fold down rear seats for larger cargo
    *Hydraulic Hood Strut rather than hood prop.

The neutrals:
    *Engine at higher revs sounds like a dustbuster.
    *Balky climate controls
    *Center armrest in the way of shifting when in lowered position

The minus:
    *Lack of ABS brakes made for some unexpected action.
    *Car needs a little more tire footprint to match the engine.
    *Red guage lighting can get difficult to read at night in
    less than ideal situations.
    *Gas fill cap is on passenger side

If I were to get my hands on one for my own, I would upgrade the suspension and wheels/tires as well as upgrade the instument panel display. For the daytime it works, but the red lighting at night doesn't work for me. Overall it's a suprising package that performed well. I don't know the price so I cannot comment on the price/value end. Would I buy one? That depends....... If I were looking for sporty looking domestic produced basic transportation, I would definately consider it. And part of the consideration would have to be price. For under 15K it would be a good choice if ABS brakes were included.

They need to transplant the Cobalt SS's dtrain in that thing...

For a "excitement division" they got the watered versions.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

and more pics of the yellow thingy with the prancing horse!

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Good review. It's always best to hear it from people in "real world" situations. Not some magazine editor on the track.

No ABS is a big letdown. In this day and age, ABS is standard on just about everything. Even the Ducati I looked at over the weekend.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Just went over to Pontiac.com and "built" one based on the look and explanation of your review. basically, pretty much stripped.

I see you had an auto, Joe, as most (maybe all) rentals are automatic. That's a $900+ option. I didn't factor that in, however, because most of us would probably opt for the 5-speed anyway.

I built it as just the G5 coupe. Not the GT. The G5 coupe doesn't even have ABS available as an option. You'd have to jump up to the GT for that. So, the base model with absolutely NO options has an MSRP of 16,150 (prior to tax,title, and license). This is with the Red Tag Event pricing. Even with that "the price you see is the price you pay" mantra, they'll still move a little. Not nearly as much, but a little. Let's say you get it for $16,500 out-the-door. That includes everything. It's still about $2,500 too much. You want a spare tire? It's a $75 option.

If GM is trying to dig itself out of a major hole, nickle and diming the buying public is NO way to do it.

Just for comparison, I went to Honda.com and "built" a stripped Civic DX. MSRP - $15,205. This includes ABS as standard equipment as well as a spare tire.

The Civic's 1.8 VTEC is pretty snappy. My boss has a Civic EX (same car and powerplant as the DX, just more options). He used to be a domestic only buyer. Not anymore. I hope GM pulls out of this mess then quickly pulls their head out of their a@&.
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
            You want a spare tire? It's a $75 option.
            Huh? You gotta pay for a spare?

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
              Huh? You gotta pay for a spare?
              Unfortunately.

I would hope it was a throw in. At very least, add the spare as standard equipment and just raise the price of the car by $75. At least it wouldn't look so bad.
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686

No ABS is a big letdown. In this day and age, ABS is standard on just about everything. .
                in fact, lack of ABS was the biggest disappointment in the driving experience.

Comment

Thanks for the review Joe...I have driven a Cobalt SS on backroads. It's fun.....
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
                    Thanks for the review Joe...I have driven a Cobalt SS on backroads. It's fun.....
                    Some say the new SS pushes FWD to the limits...it hangs with Porsches and Vettes.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                      Some say the new SS pushes FWD to the limits...it hangs with Porsches and Vettes.
                      I believe the one I drove was an '05. It doesn't have the low end torque that we are used to but when she starts breathing, hold on...
                      Greg W. in West Michigan
                      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                      <Motor out

Comment

The G5 (even the GT) is silly. Pontiac got the castrated version of the Cobalt.

I'm probably going to get an 2009/2010 Cobalt SS next year to replace my 03 Vibe GT. For around $24,000, it really proves why the G5 GT is silly.

I always thought Pontiac would produce a G5 GXP with the LNF motor...but no luck. A real shame in my opinion...Pontiac would sell a boat-load if they did!

I guess we have to settle for the "exciting" G3 oooooo!
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS as shown in Road&Track

List price
                          $22,335
                          Price as tested
                          $23,490

Curb weight
                          2935 lb

Engine, transmission
                          2.0-liter I-4t; 5-sp manual

Horsepower, bhp @ rpm
                          260 @ 5300
                          Torque, lb-ft @ rpm
                          260 @ 2000

0–60 mph
                          5.5 sec
                          0–100 mph
                          12.9 sec
                          0–1320 ft (1/4 mile)
                          14.0 sec @ 101.8 mph
                          Top speed
                          160 mph*

Braking, 60–0 mph
                          117 ft
                          Braking, 80–0 mph
                          207 ft

Lateral accel (200-ft skidpad)
                          0.92g
                          Speed thru 700-ft slalom
                          72.4 mph <------WOW!

Originally posted by Road & Track
                          The car also allows a no-lift shift — in all gears, any time the car is at full throttle. Near the 6300-rpm limiter, simply shift without lifting off the throttle. The system will selectively cut spark and phase the variable camshafts, thereby holding boost pressure and rpm. The ingenious anti-lag can be maintained for roughly 0.2 second. A single pop! from the exhaust is the sound of a quick shift.

I haven't enjoyed driving a front-wheel-drive car this much in ages. The Cobalt's FE5 suspension is stiffer, better damped and infinitely more compliant than the previous car's. I dare say it's the best-driving fwd sports compact out there, matching the power of a Mazdaspeed3, but easily out-handling it. At the limit the Cobalt SS is predictable, controllable, balanced and should make any driving enthusiast quite happy.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

That's what peaked my attention!

And, a little birdie has informed me that GM will be producing a Stage package what will boost horsepower to 300 in the Spring.

It's supposedly the same parts that will appear on the Solstice GXP.

Hahn Racing has already dyno tested a recalibration package that boost power to over 325hp. They're asking $995 for it...
                            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Before you guys get too excited, I've had high HP to weight ratio front drivers and I wouldn't give you two cents for them in the rain. That puppy would have to include traction control or the car will be unsafe. There are people that will cite that FWD has the advantage in snow, rain, yada yada.......that may be true in the realm of basic transportation. When you have a high HP to weight ratio front driver, the tires get overpowered easily. As weight transfers rearward, the front tires unload and in the rain, that's bad. Very bad to put it mildly. When the driven wheels that are also responsible for direction are spinning, combined with reduced pressure per square inch of the tire's contact patch you're going to get into trouble.

In the dry, they aren't quite as squirrely if you know how to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                              X