beware of a WrX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beware of a WrX

my dad has a 2003 subruru WRX,and it has to get a $2,000 valve job at 71k miles,asked the dealership and they said they had 4 other wrx there getting the same problem fixed,its a normal to get a valve job on a wrx at 80k
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Thats why when I buy a car I look at the big picture and see whats going to cost an arm and a leg to fix if something does go wrong. Subies and VW's are not cheap cars to fix.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

One of the things I have always said is you can get 300 horses out of a 5.7l V8 and you can get 300 horses out of a 2.0l I4 but I guarantee the V8 will last a LOT longer than the I4. Those high horsepower 4 cylinder engines are disposable or you better look at them that way.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

my buddy had his 03 WRX from 35k to 140k and no motors problems at all. and trust me we beat the crap out of it. with alot of upgrades and no problems just had to rebuild the trans from banging second to many times lol
        94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
        1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
        GOT PSi?
        Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to disagree with this statement also.

Both my Dad and Brother in law have been driving Scoobies for years. My Dad is going on 20+ years and never any issues. He's had two WRX's and both ran like tops. He's currently got a 2007 WRX and it too has never been in the shop.

He keeps his Subaru's for well over 100K and all have engines that seam to run forever.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I wish them all good luck. But driving something with a nick name of "scoobie". Scoobie doobie doo. Oh and let me guess, they run on scooby snacks.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I'd agree with the long-term view of car ownership. There's an Impreza RS in the family and it's been a good car. Horrible gas mileage for a 4-banger though. My V6 Firebird gets better mileage.

Other than a mysterious coolant leak, it hums along. AWD is pretty good. Anybody know how long a timing belt/chain goes on average for the 2.5?
              1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
              2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
              1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

My father-in-law bought a Subaru Impreza brand new in 98. It lasted until mid 2001 with nearly 300K on the ticker. Yep, thats right 300k... The only thing he replaced were the wear items and maintenance. He used to let me take it out every weekend..... He traded it in because the clutches were going out (supposedly) in the tranny and differentials ( I don't know how). So he bought a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. It is still going strong with, again, almost 300k on the ticker. Besides one small electrical fire(long story but it turns out it was a technician error not a factory problem), maintenance items only.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

I'd like to have a WRX for the winter months. Cool cars.
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Like any car, timing belts are typically good for 75K.

Some need replacing sooner...some later.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I have a 2006 WRX that I bought new. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. After a larger turbo/Exhaust and an "off the shelf" tune it's making 290+ HP at the wheels and ran a 13 flat 1/4 mile time (with my crappy wimpy launch). I really love this car. I'm selling my 96 Z28 because I just don't drive it anymore. One of the biggest things is it's pretty easy to work on. I would rather pull the engine out of the WRX than change the spark plugs/ wires/ opti on the Z28. It would take less time and be less frustrating. I am also on the Subaru boards often and a $2000 valve job at 70,000 miles is not the norm from what I can gather. In fact I think for $2,000 you can get a nice set of aftermarket heads. Have your friend look into that. I was thinking about the new Z28 when it comes out as a possible replacement for the WRX when it's time but they made it even bigger and heavier than the already big 4th gens. It might as well be a truck. Sorry for the rant I really want to love the F-body as it was my favorite car for so long but I just can't get over it's shortcomings. I will say one thing though for the F-body is that nothing sounds like that 5.7 V8. The WRX's H4 has about as cool a sounding exhaust note as a 4 cyl can but the LT1 just sounded meaner!

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Absolutely! Can't tell you how much I love the sound of my LT1 through headers, a single cat, and straight through exhaust (Borla wide open). It sounds like a NASCAR Cup Car at full tilt (yes, I've driven one and been to races so I know what they sound like).
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
                        X