NJ Resident Not Allowed To Pay Ticket With Pennies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ Resident Not Allowed To Pay Ticket With Pennies

You can't even make this stuff up. A guy is trying to pay his traffic ticket with rolled pennies and the court offices won't take it. Now there's a warrant out for his arrest.

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/11113850
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

lol!
    It is not illegal to use pennies for payment...so get over it and accept it. Although in most cases, even the bank won't accept that many rolled pennies unless you print your address on them.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
      lol!
      It is not illegal to use pennies for payment...so get over it and accept it. Although in most cases, even the bank won't accept that many rolled pennies unless you print your address on them.
      Since when? Legally they have to take it.
      http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/c...l-tender.shtml
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

It's just a bunch of lazy court workers who don't want to feel like they're getting it "stuck" to them. He goes to court today. I can't see him losing this one. It's an open/shut case.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
          Since when? Legally they have to take it.
          http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/c...l-tender.shtml
          I think maybe you misunderstood me... I know that it is a legal tender and therefore they have to take it.

Some of the banks around here used to have you put your name and address on the rolls when they were brought it. They told us that the reasoning was because some people would put a few pennies on either side and fill the middle with something else. So when they were opened there was only actually a few pennies in it instead of 50. Easily done...one penny goes in, a short piece of conduit or plastic tube filled with dirt and a penny on the other end and whala... Put a hundred of them in a box and cash in...
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
            I think maybe you misunderstood me... I know that it is a legal tender and therefore they have to take it.

Some of the banks around here used to have you put your name and address on the rolls when they were brought it. They told us that the reasoning was because some people would put a few pennies on either side and fill the middle with something else. So when they were opened there was only actually a few pennies in it instead of 50. Easily done...one penny goes in, a short piece of conduit or plastic tube filled with dirt and a penny on the other end and whala... Put a hundred of them in a box and cash in...
            Well my point was the government has to take them as legal tender. A privately owned company does not have to take them. A bank does not have to take them but the government to pay a ticket has to. So you can't really compare the two here.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
              Well my point was the government has to take them as legal tender. A privately owned company does not have to take them. A bank does not have to take them but the government to pay a ticket has to. So you can't really compare the two here.
              I see. So, I should have stayed out of this thread then. ty
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              <Motor out

Comment

Working...
              X