Snow tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow tires

My HHR came with Firestone Affinity touring tires and they're absolute garbage. I should of known they were when I had a hard time gripping in the rain last Summer. They have 6k miles on them.

What are some good snow tires?
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Bf goodrich winter slalom's!!!!!!!

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

These are what I am currently using and I like them. The price is right. In the past I have used Bridgestone Blizzak, Nokian Hakkapelitta Qs, and Cooper Wintermasters. All great tires. Not sure if any of them are still in production.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

I would recommend these as well:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M3

I've used them on my Vibe GT for 5 years and love them. On my T/A, I used Blizzaks. While they were more than sufficient, the Dunlops are far superior.

What I really like about the Dunlops is they do not give up any perceptible dry or wet (rain) traction. I use Z rated Avon tires on my Vibe in the summer. These Dunlops, while not able to corner as well, are just as sure-footed in the rain. Granted, they are not meant for drag racing, but are very good tires all around. I just wouldn't use them in the warm weather, as they'll wear out fast. I've put about 10K on the Dunlops, and they easily have another 15K- 20K left on them.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

^^^^ I normally dont like Dunlop, but they hit the nail on the head with that tire.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

father had winterforce snows on his old 96 tbird, never ever got stuck and were only half worn out in 6 seasons when we junked the car(blew a headgasket, took out the head) he averages bout 20-25K a year so they prob had 30K on em
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I used Blizzaks on my Z28 in North Jersey for a couple of winters till I moved away. The car didn't have traction control, but driving was never a problem. We had several snows that were over 2 feet. I never got stuck or slid when using those.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Hmmm...must of been a helluva guy that sold you those tires Joe (LOL)
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                  I used Blizzaks on my Z28 in North Jersey for a couple of winters till I moved away. The car didn't have traction control, but driving was never a problem. We had several snows that were over 2 feet. I never got stuck or slid when using those.

bilzzaks are good tires but wear out fast, esp when run on dry pavement
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Hmmm...must of been a helluva guy that sold you those tires Joe (LOL)
                    Fer sure! Seriously, it was the best thing I bought for my car. Thank you!

I ended up selling them to the guy that bought my last Camaro last year. They still had usable tread on them.

Late in March 2005 we had a freak snow storm up in North Jersey. Unfortunately, I had changed to sumer tires the day before. I got out of the parking lot at work and to the first stop light on a slight incline. After I stopped I was going nowhere. I was lucky to get turned around and back to the lot. I had to get a co-worker to drive me home. If he wasn't there I would've had to spend the night there.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I remember that storm...we had a lot of snow in a short period of time. I'm glad I had my snow tires on my Vibe or I was going to be stranded at work in Edison too.

Snow tires are the best bet for driving "safely" in the snow...no doubt!
                      Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
                      X