New phone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New phone

After a couple of months, I finally got my new Google G1 smart phone. I have to say that the thing is pretty sweet. The only complaint I have is the lack of a video player. It is, however, pretty comparable to the Iphones that I have played with. Anyone else have one of these?

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

That looks like a nice phone.

I've been thinking of getting a touch screen phone also. I was going to try to stay with Verizon, but after looking at my options with them (LG Dare being my best choice) I may have to switch to AT&T as I really don't see any phones that I like outside of the Iphone. I just don't know if I want to go back to AT&T.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
      That looks like a nice phone.

I've been thinking of getting a touch screen phone also. I was going to try to stay with Verizon, but after looking at my options with them (LG Dare being my best choice) I may have to switch to AT&T as I really don't see any phones that I like outside of the Iphone. I just don't know if I want to go back to AT&T.
      My sister got the dare last week and it's awesome. I elected for the blackberry curve and it rules!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

you yungins and yur gadgets..LOL.. all i want a cell phone for is making calls and taking pics... nothing else..

nice phone though!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Me I want a cell phone that when I place a call, some dam fool on the other end will say hello.People have cell phones on them and you can't get them, so why do a lot of people have them.An if I want to take a picture I will use one of my cameras and get a dam good picture. The son has a I phone, but I think they only take calls 3 time a week. Or it must be a crappy phone that does everything but takes calls.And if you want to take it one step farther stick a blue tooth in you ear and start walking around talking and people look at you and say look at that dam fool. Just my 2 cents on cells.
          Blazer

Comment

I have the new iPhone 3G. I'm not sure I could love a human baby as much as I love this phone.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
              I have a similar dilemma.

My current contract is up with Verizon and I really like the iPhone. I have been an Apple guy since I first touched a computer (Apple IIe....)

The dilemma is I have heard alot of complaints about ATT's network and hear their customer service is well below average.
              I have not had any issues with Verizon in 7+ years with them.

I currently have a semi-smart phone (the LG enV) and feel it's time to move up to a full smart phone. My choice on Verizon would probably be the BB Storm, though I haven't really got a full hands on demo of it yet.

The BB would be cheaper for me ($150 vs $250 for iPhone) since I get a discount for re-signing and the service plans would be roughly the same.

So my dilemma, do I ditch a company that I have really liked to get the phone I really want or take a second choice on the phone to stay loyal to the company?
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I can answer some of your concerns...

I've been with AT&T for six years now. I was with Verizon before that. At least in my area, both are exactly the same as far as coverage goes. Customer service has been okay. Haven't really needed it much but they answered my questions and helped me out, but again... I rarely use them.

The iPhone is only $200 now (with 2 year contract). I just came from owning a BlackBerry for 2 years. Loved it. Would have considered the Storm if it were on AT&T. I haven't regretted going with the iPhone at all. In fact, my wife, cousin and brother all bought one right after I got mine, and my mother-in-law is switching from Verizon to AT&T just to get an iPhone. It's a pretty amazing piece of technology.

Bottom line will come down to coverage in your area. Talk to some AT&T users in your area and find out how they do with coverage.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                  I can answer some of your concerns...

I've been with AT&T for six years now. I was with Verizon before that. At least in my area, both are exactly the same as far as coverage goes. Customer service has been okay. Haven't really needed it much but they answered my questions and helped me out, but again... I rarely use them.

The iPhone is only $200 now (with 2 year contract). I just came from owning a BlackBerry for 2 years. Loved it. Would have considered the Storm if it were on AT&T. I haven't regretted going with the iPhone at all. In fact, my wife, cousin and brother all bought one right after I got mine, and my mother-in-law is switching from Verizon to AT&T just to get an iPhone. It's a pretty amazing piece of technology.

Bottom line will come down to coverage in your area. Talk to some AT&T users in your area and find out how they do with coverage.
                  That is exactly the deciding factor for me. I need to borrow someones phone and use it for a day or two. My biggest concern is coverage at my house. All the other companies had horrible reception but Verizon gives me full signal. It's been many many years so I'm guessing that problem isn't a concern any more but there is only one way for me to find out.
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Thus my dilema.
                    I know Verizon will let me return a new phone (either 14 or 30 days, I don't remember) so I can get a good feel for the BB, anyone know if ATT does the same?

I actually was interested in the G1/Android powered phones when they were announced but TMobile is an absolute no-go for me. My Mom and many friends have had MAJOR issues with TM, mainly with their sorry excuse for customer service. What has been your experience with them Todd? Would also be interested in your experience with the G1 after you have it for a while (month or so). I heard some questionable reviews, mainly about HTC and their hardware in general but it being a 1st gen. technology that's to be expected. When Android moves to other carriers and manufacturers I'll look at them again.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I love my curve, but straight from a few Verizon reps I heard the BB Storm is poo.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
                        Thus my dilema.
                        I know Verizon will let me return a new phone (either 14 or 30 days, I don't remember) so I can get a good feel for the BB, anyone know if ATT does the same?

I actually was interested in the G1/Android powered phones when they were announced but TMobile is an absolute no-go for me. My Mom and many friends have had MAJOR issues with TM, mainly with their sorry excuse for customer service. What has been your experience with them Todd? Would also be interested in your experience with the G1 after you have it for a while (month or so). I heard some questionable reviews, mainly about HTC and their hardware in general but it being a 1st gen. technology that's to be expected. When Android moves to other carriers and manufacturers I'll look at them again.
                        AVOID VERIZON WIRELESS AT ALL COSTS! Although their coverage is sometimes better, their CS isn't as great as people make it out to be. I know this from recent experiences with them (former Cingular, Nextel, Sprint and Verizon Customer). Verizon also lacks in phone selection and compatibility (they will only activate and support their own CDMA based phones). Whatever phones they do have are crippled by the dissabling of features that the Manufacturer designed them for (Bluetooth, Java, Flash, Media, Web Browsers, WiFi). All this to force you to pay for their version of the services your phone already came with. And they all suffer from that HORRIBLE Verizon User Interface. Your best bet at fully functioning phone with this company is a smart phone (expect a lack of WiFi). After all this, you'll still be paying more than with any other carrier.

Also, Verizon doesn't allow the use of any BlackBerry on their network without forcing you to pay for some sort of Data Plan, and yes, the Storm is very Buggy! Im curently using T-Mobile (3 months in) Customer service is good, price is the best, and coverage is good. Like many, my concern was coverage at home, but with Unlimited WiFI Calling, I can make and receive calls anywhere in the world where there's WiFi. And for $10 more, I got a home phone with all the extras and unlimited national calling. Cant beat that!
                        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Ya, I know all about Verizon crippling phones. Some of that can be fixed though. WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG Come visit us at Zaks Enterprises to see.

As I said in the post above I have been a Verizon customer for 8 years and never had a problem that was not fixed by the time I hung up the phone or left the store. That includes when my then 1 week old V710 just plain died. I walked into a brick and mortar store, 10 minutes later walked out with a new working V710 at a time when they "could not be found" in stores due to being the latest and greatest. Try that with TMobile...

The home phone is not an issue since I have digital phone bundled already and public WiFi coverage here is lacking to say the least.

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                          ...you'll still be paying more than with any other carrier.
                          From looking online and comparing similar plans with data V and ATT are within 10 of each other.
                          My DD
                          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
                            Ya, I know all about Verizon crippling phones. Some of that can be fixed though. WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG Come visit us at Zaks Enterprises to see.

As I said in the post above I have been a Verizon customer for 8 years and never had a problem that was not fixed by the time I hung up the phone or left the store. That includes when my then 1 week old V710 just plain died. I walked into a brick and mortar store, 10 minutes later walked out with a new working V710 at a time when they "could not be found" in stores due to being the latest and greatest. Try that with TMobile...
                            You mean you walked out with a new "refurbished" V710 Phone. I went through 7 of them before they "upgraded" me to the vx8600. I sold that crappy thing and went through about 5 E815, and then 2 MAXX RAZR VEs, and 2 Q's and 2 V9Ms before I called it quits. T-Mobile gives you a solid, un-tampered phone to begin with. Thats a great first step. Also, SeeM editing and flashing isn't for everyone, but it does work (or bricks) on a phone. Not worth it IMHO.
                            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Refurbished no, I picked up my new phone the day of release and it was during that first week that it bricked. Don't think they had time to refurb anything plus I checked.
                              Lasted 2+ years after that.

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                              ...T-Mobile gives you a solid...phone to begin with
                              Tell that to the early SKIII (or was it SK LX) users. Plus, talk about locked down, the SK = "Virgin on Prom Night" thanks to Danger and the SKII wrote the book on non-user replaceable batteries.

Lots of things can be done without touching a seem (adding ringtones for example) especially on Samsung and LG phones and flashing is usually only necessary when going extreme or switching carriers. Do your homework and the chance of a brick is small plus most bricks can be fixed anyway with, again, a little homework. It is wort it to get the most out of your phone when you don't need the full capabilities of a smart phone.
                              My DD
                              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                              X