The Camaro has a new stable mate...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Camaro has a new stable mate...

We finally traded off my wife's 2002 VW Passat. The thing was just way too friggen expensive to have worked on. We had refinanced it a little over a year ago to get a $1000 loan on the equity we had in it at the time to help pay the $1300 that it cost to get the water pump changed when it crapped out. Apparently you have to pull the engine to change the water pump. You also apparently have to pull the engine to change the coolant system thermostat, according to a guy at the dealership, to the tune of $700. Soooo...when the engine light came on a few days ago, and the transmission started slipping like crazy, I decided that I wasn't going to put another dime into the thing and we started shopping.
    We decided on this Blue 2008 Kia Sorento. The dealers were offering $5000 rebates, and luckily enough, the engine light wasn't on when they test drove the Passat so they gave us $4000 for it. Not bad for a 7 year old passat with 126K on the ODO and feeling like the transmission is slipping, the lights had to be on high beams to work at all, and even then were dim, and the knob to adjust the side mirrors was broken off (Courtesy of my left thigh). So, we got into the truck for roughly $14000, not including the $2600 we were upside down on the Passat. It was funny, because after we had signed all the papers and were getting ready to leave, the salesman pulled the Passat around back so that we could get all of our stuff out of it. When we got out there he gave us the usual thank you's and what-not. Then asked, "How long has the dash light been on?" We were like...it JUST came on on the way here. LOL Then we were like ... . Anyway, here are some pics.

We are painting the garage this summer!

Oh, did I mmention the Passat also had a slow oil leak? Now I need to paint my garage floor as well. So what do ya'll think? Once we start getting some consistent warm weather here, the Zaino-ing will begin. The dealership did their usual spit-shine detailing before I thought to tell them not to. So, I have my work cut out for me. Anyway, anyone else here have a Kia? If so, how do you like it?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

a kia? wtf? lol, i thought they made pencil sharpeners and kitchen appliances in china haha. but i was looking at them sorento s and if i were to get a kia that would be it...but i doubt i d ever consider getting one.
    a friend of mine had one , he said he had no problems with it and sold it at 80 k miles.
    How is build quality compared to the passat?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

You don't know Kia then my friend. These are not the same cars they were when they first came out. The Kia is a very well built car, backed by one of the longest warranties in the industry.

It's not a Corvette, but it's a pretty darn good car...especially for the low, low prices they sell at.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

those VWs stink, altho they hosed u on the repair, we always just pulled the front bumper off and that got us enough room to do waterpumps and stuff
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hyundai/Kia has stepped up their game...I wouldn't doubt their products. The Sorento was Kia's turnaround model.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Kia was an entry level, very inexpensive car when they were first introduced. They have since become a very formidable player in the foreign car market. An extreme example of another Asian company that has surpassed the competition is Samsung. They were initially known for making very inexpensive, lower quality electronics. Now they make some of the highest quality electronics on the planet.
            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

We are liking it pretty well so far. The build quality doesn't seem as good as on the VW, but then again, it is a way different class of vehicle. Overall, it is great for what it is and what it cost. My assistant at work said that he has had a Kia van for a few years now and they have had no issues with it after 56K miles. Not too shabby. We had more issues with the VW in the 2 years that we owned it than I have had with the Camaro in the 9 years that I have owned it. To be fair, we started out with 80K on the VW, but still...the Germans have a thing or two to learn about making a car affordable to own. When you have to pull the engine to do most minor work, there is something wrong. So many things that would cost under $10 and take less than 20 minutes with the Camaro would be in the hundreds of dollars and take hours to complete on the Passat. Just reaffirms my love for American cars. At least I got my wife to get a little closer to the light side with a Korean car. she was considering a Malibu, but was afraid her dad ( An adamant F.O.R.D and Toyota guy ) would disown her. So close.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Funny very quick story: If it were not for a broken down kia van, I may have not met my girlfriend or *gasp* possibly fiancee!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

The biggest problem with KIA in our area is parts. It takes at least 5 times as long to get parts from KIA as it does from GM, Chrysler, Ford and Toyota. However, VW/Audi is just as bad in that department. Although even the big three are slowing down a bit now. We used to be able to get just about any part next day(sometimes same day) but lately...not so much.
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

My brother works at a Chrysler/Kia dealer as the head of the parts dept. He said about three years ago, he'd never even consider owning a Kia for any reason. Now, they are well built cars, especially considering the price.

Norm - Loved your comparison of Kia and Samsung. I'm totally with you on that. I remember when Sony used to be the big dog in the electronics industry. They've taken a bit of a back seat in that department to Samsung.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I can agree. KIA got their act together and builds a much more reliable car than when they first hit the market. The last several years have shown major improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                        My brother works at a Chrysler/Kia dealer as the head of the parts dept. He said about three years ago, he'd never even consider owning a Kia for any reason. Now, they are well built cars, especially considering the price.
                        the one on newtown road in danbury?
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                          the one on newtown road in danbury?
                          Action Motors. That's the one. He's been there for years.
                          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'm yet to encounter a Kia with mechanical issues and I've driven dozens of them.
                            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                            SOLD- Good riddance!
                            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                            X