Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the law

Trimmed down version:
    The guy I sold my white Camaro to was pulled over for the first time today. He did not quite make it under the red light and admitted it and will probably get three points for it. On top of that, the cop decided to get him for window tint saying it was at 66%. The apparent "limit" is 70%. I found this website:
    http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

So what do you think he should do?

2002 Firehawk Sold

I'd pay the fines and go on about my merry way.

R U asking if he should fight the ticket or pay an attorney to have the moving violation reduced?
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I am saying that the law does not set a clear line here in PA. It is well known that PA has a hazy law. All it says is that you should be able to see in and out of the car. There is no number at all in terms of light percentage.

I did tell him to pay the fine and move along though. I am just a bit concerned for my rear end.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Why would your butt be in a sling? You sold the car to him and released yourself from all liabilities at the point of sale. At least that's how the bill of sale I use is worded.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu

So what do you think he should do?
          pay the ticket, remove the window tint to prevent future tickets. Pretty simple.

Comment

I have similar tint!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              pay the ticket, remove the window tint to prevent future tickets. Pretty simple.
              That's pretty much it...
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

"If you can't stand the fine, don't do the crime"

I think it is pretty strange how many guys on these lists think they are so tough- "I always drive 20 over" "I don't want to mess up my pretty car with a front license plate" "What tint I put on my car is my business"

And then they complain that they are being singled out or harassed for doing something that is illegal, and arguably, stupid for attracting the attention of the people who's job it is to write tickets- duh!

Experience is a tough teacher- you get the test first, then the lesson-

I mean, if I was the officer, and saw a car I couldn't easily see into, my first thought is suspicion- 'what is he trying to hide?'
                2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                  I mean, if I was the officer, and saw a car I couldn't easily see into, my first thought is suspicion- 'what is he trying to hide?'
                  When I had dark tint on my windows, I would roll them down if I was pulled over. That way they could plainly see that I was not trying to hide anything. Needless to say, it didn't work.
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                    "If you can't stand the fine, don't do the crime"

I think it is pretty strange how many guys on these lists think they are so tough- "I always drive 20 over" "I don't want to mess up my pretty car with a front license plate" "What tint I put on my car is my business"

And then they complain that they are being singled out or harassed for doing something that is illegal, and arguably, stupid for attracting the attention of the people who's job it is to write tickets- duh!'
                    hes just asked cuz PA doesnt have a set limit on what is legal limit and the officer named off a limit and told him he had exceeded the limit without using the proper testing tool
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

There is this website:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=295

and this one....

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/PA/

I'd just either remove the tint or be prepared to keep paying the fine. Even if the actual law does not say 70%, it looks like precedant has pretty much set the standard at 70%. According to the AG's website, it's even federal law.
                      Dave M
                      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Hey, that "Tintcenter" link is a great reference- thanks!
                        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
                        X