Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimp that Prius for $120,000

I guess when everything has been done

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 21 (UPI) -- A Los Angeles car customizer who designed vehicles for "The Beverly Hillbillies" and TV's original "Batman" said his latest passion is sprucing up dull hybrids.

George Barris, 83, said he has customized six Toyota Prius hybrids and is currently working on a seventh that will have cost more than $100,000 by the time it is finished, USA Today reported Wednesday.

Barris said the Prius he is customizing for Silicon Valley entrepreneur Satish Dharmaraj features upward tilting doors, flared fenders, a metallic gold and orange paint job, yellow-tinted glass, 20-inch rims and panels over the

windows. He said he is planning to further customize the car with a notebook computer, a lithium-ion battery kit to allow the car to drive 75 miles per gallon of gas, LED lights and dual rear video cameras to replace the side mirrors.

"I love taking something that nobody wants to do anything with and make it look better," Barris said.

Barris said the final product will have cost more than $100,000 to construct -- not counting the additional $20,000 needed to purchase a stock Prius.
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

"a lithium-ion battery kit to allow the car to drive 75 miles per gallon of gas"

This line made me laugh a little.

If you're spending over $100,000 on a custom Prius... Does better gas mileage really matter at that point?
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
        "a lithium-ion battery kit
        And therin lies the potential problem. If the batteries are charged too fast OR there is a direct short, lithium batteries can go into thermal runaway. That means fire...... the cells themselves are flammable. I've seen cells catch fire and burn, it's a wicked sight. Hopefully they have solved the problems and made them safer.

now on the subject of a pimped prius.....

no comment.

Comment

Prius' are so cool. My friends says her Prius is sexier than my Corvettes.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
          X