Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Have Any Comments on the New 2009 G8 GXP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have Any Comments on the New 2009 G8 GXP?

I was at the Pontiac dealer getting some friction modifier for my Trans Am so I can change the diff fluid, and I came across this little gem. I can't take my eyes off it! 415HP, awesome handling (from what I read), 6 speed manual, heated racing seats, Brembo brakes, 19" chrome wheels, I have a really bad itch now to trade in my 2005 Lincoln LS and buy one of these... When I bought my Lincoln LS in 2006 the GTO was out and I really liked that car, but I chose the LS. I REALLY like this car too hah

Anyone have any comments about it? Know anyone who has one, do they like it? If you do and you know what they paid for it that would help me out for dealing with the dealership (something I hate!)

Thanks,

...Tim

It's a nice car from what I gather. I am not sure about pricing though. When was the last time you could buy a v8 manual sedan in its price range?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

The G8 GXP can be had for about $36K. GM has put a lot of money on the table to move it...

It will easily out corner the new Camaro SS...

Check this out:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/05/4...ch-for-35-000/

Too bad production has been cut 97%

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/r...duction-by-97/
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I know, I wanted to wait to see what the new Camaro would be like, but when is that going to be out? Supposed to be now I thought. Both cars have about the same amount of power, price range will probably be the same. I kinda like the looks of the Pontiac more.

Your right, last time I bought a car with power and a 6 speed was when I bought my Trans Am in 1997! Its amazing I used to think my Trans Am was high tech, working on it last night these new cars make that look old!

...Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          The G8 GXP can be had for about $36K.
          Nice car but I would rather have the 36K in my bank account.

Comment

The G8 GXP would have been great 10 years ago...a great replacement to the b-bodies. Now, it is too little too late. I would be more interested in the Malibu Hybrid. If I was out to buy a muscle car, it would be a weekend warrior (Vette/Viper). The Camaro or CTS with the direct injection V6 at 300+hp getting over 25mpg is probably a better alternative if this is a daily driver.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Not sure why everyone feels like it's the late 70's again. Gas is dirt cheap...sure, it's not $0.99 like it was a few years back, but $2.00 - $3.00 is really still cheap.

Also, why do you say if it was 10 years ago??? Everyone is making high horsepower sedans right now...Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Ford (the SHO is back), Infinity, Cadillac, Nissan, Subaru, etc.

When GM does it with the G8, and gives you more power for less money, they get criticized. Heck, they are rated at 24 mpg on the hwy with the big V8...that's as good if not better than just about all the others in the high hp group. And from browsing the G8 boards, most people are getting close to 30 mpg by using a light foot on the highway.

Meanwhile all I see around here are $40K 300+hp sedans. I don't get it...GM can't win...
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Not sure why everyone feels like it's the late 70's again. Gas is dirt cheap...sure, it's not $0.99 like it was a few years back, but $2.00 - $3.00 is really still cheap.

Also, why do you say if it was 10 years ago??? Everyone is making high horsepower sedans right now...Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Ford (the SHO is back), Infinity, Cadillac, Nissan, Subaru, etc.

When GM does it with the G8, and gives you more power for less money, they get criticized. Heck, they are rated at 24 mpg on the hwy with the big V8...that's as good if not better than just about all the others in the high hp group. And from browsing the G8 boards, most people are getting close to 30 mpg by using a light foot on the highway.

Meanwhile all I see around here are $40K 300+hp sedans. I don't get it...GM can't win...
                Less then a year ago, my wife and I were spending $1,100 on gas per month. Gas may be $2.00 per gallon right now, but that won't last long. Personally, my family can't afford 2,3,4 hundred dollar swings in the budget. There is no way I would buy anything that got less then 30mpg combined. I drive the Roadmaster daily right now because it doesn't cost anything except gas and oil. When I need to replace it, I will go with a high mpg car. Cars like the G8 would have been great if introduced in the late 90s, but why would somebody want a daily driver that gets 15/24 ( based non-GXP V8 auto) given today's conditions? If GM released this as a replacement to the b-body, then they would have sold countless cars. It is too late for this...

It looks like there is a $1,700 gas guzzler tax on the GXP...no thanks!
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

$1,100 per month Good gravy! I can definitely see why you would count every mpg. My wife and I (both work) average $300 per month...and that's assuming gas at $2.00 (it's only $1.75 right now). So even at $4.00 per gallon, it's still a bargain compared to everything else we are forced to pay (oh, like $10,000 per year property tax, income tax, 7% sales tax, $38,000 per year childcare/Catholic school, etc.)

Not that I like paying almost $4k per year for gas, but it is what it is. I'd rather buy a car I enjoy at 25 mpg, than have to compromise for a 30 mpg car I don't want. In the end, for me at least, the difference is only a few hundred dollars per year. Heck, even at $5 per gallon, it's still a savings of less than $1k per year...(30 mpg vs. 25 mpg) Now, if we're talkin' a Prius...big savings. But, I like Musclecars...can't see myself driving a Matchbox car with watch batteries anytime soon.

If the supercharged Camaro Z28 does come to fruition, there's a strong possibility it will be my daily driver...gas be damned
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

My friend has one. He bought it off a dealer that got it from the auction w/ 5000 miles. Its nice but doesnt have the feel of a bird. More like a bmw. Fast grocery getter. Reminds me of the GTO quite a bit. Way better than your Lincoln, get it!

Comment

The GF's uncle has one... I didn't get to see it yet but the gf likes it. It's only a GT with an automatic.

He's getting up there so I guess a slushbox is better for him... and more consistent on the drags if he were to ever do that (he just likes to keep them mint). With Jeeps autos are lot easier to drive on the trails.

I'd have soooo gone for the clutch pedal. Can't waste a v8 and rear drive on an automatic transmission. Just my opinion.

Comment

a couple people have run 13.0's in the 106 and 107's!!

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                        2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

I had a black GXP park by the hawk last week and looked pretty sweet. We were also the furthest two cars from the door haha.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

G8s are sweet rides...had a guy come in for tires in a GT. I sat in it anazlyzing every nook and cranny. Very well built...one of the finest GM cars I've sat in other than the new CTS. The interior had a very euro scent to it...reminded me of Audis. The wheelbase is longish though...other than that, a perfect blend of performance, quality, style and functionality.

I can only assume that the GXP is that times 10.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                            X