X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Camaro SS & V6 M6 And A6 Tests

Anyone seen this video. Its only 33 outside and it still runs 13.0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VHlOvE2pI
    They did everything right SS Auto/SS Manual/V6 Auto/V6 Manual But it was cold outside
    1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Wow, I had no idea the new Camaro would be running that fast...makes my car feel slow lol
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

Notice there is no Z28. So it's either $22k for V6 or 36k+dealer markup for V8. Big price difference.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow. The SS with an auto in stock configuration runs the same times as my bolt on 97 WS6. The base car is pretty darned quick for a stock V6 too. I may have to check one out at the local dealership.

sad though that a SS tops out around 40K.

Comment

Why pay 40K for a camaro when you can have a corvette for a few bucks more. That stupid pricing is what killed off the 4th gen. GM keeps forgetting that the camaro is supposed to be a CHEAP unsophisticated sports car with a big engine. No one is going to buy it, not because its a bad car (it isn't), but because GM doesn't get it...they compete against their own cars in the same price range. I hate to say it, but ford gets it, nothing at ford competes with the mustang. They sell tons of them.

I am soo ticked off at GM.

Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html
          Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananasaboutcars
            Why pay 40K for a camaro when you can have a corvette for a few bucks more. That stupid pricing is what killed off the 4th gen. GM keeps forgetting that the camaro is supposed to be a CHEAP unsophisticated sports car with a big engine. No one is going to buy it, not because its a bad car (it isn't), but because GM doesn't get it...they compete against their own cars in the same price range. I hate to say it, but ford gets it, nothing at ford competes with the mustang. They sell tons of them.
            I suppose that most of this may be true. However, the Camaro is a 2+2, the Corvette is a 2. Hate to state the obvious but that does not compete truly. The Corvette also has a "base model" that has 450 hp now. The SS doesn't quite reach that either.

The Mustang is an unsophisticated old school musclecar. That won't cut it forever. No offense but the folks who drove those old musclecars probably would like more power AND a smoother ride, if you know what I mean. A rough ride does not fun make.
            1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
            2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
            1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

GM needs to get the camaro down closer to 30K with a v8. and I'm not saying the camaro is exactly like the corvette or the new pontiac musclesedan, but its close enough in price and performance to warrant consideration in the buyers decision.

Its also too much money for their target market which is 20-30 yearolds with no kids. The mustang can be bought for less than 30K with enough motor to make some decent tire smoke.

Im not saying the mustang is better than the new camaro, im just saying its "priced" better and it will probably sell better for that reason. In fact ford sold enough mustangs to keep mustangs going while GM had to stop the camaro (& firebird) model for almost a decade.

Now to make things worse our tax dollars are being used to pay for GMs inept business decisions.

Comment

One thing to consider though. A 304 HP V6 that motivates this to high 14 second quarter mile times.

I've seen some weaker LT1 Z28s run similar times. I would imagine a few standard hot rodding mods would get mid 14s, very respectable for a daily driver. That makes $22K a bit more attractive if your intent is not to have a stoplight brawler. The v6 with lighter weight should be able to outhanlde the v8 cars with good mods. I wonder how well the motor would handle some boost?

Comment

Unfortunately the V6 aftermarket has never been that good. It'd be nice to see that change.

Go to chevrolet.com/camaro to price out a car. The V8 base can be had for about $31K. That's not bad for a 400HP car. The Mustang GT starts at around $28k if I remember right. Mag comparo showed it's nearly as quick as the SS with the tack pack which adds around $500 to the price (5 speed manual required).
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

A rear mount turbo would probably get that V6 in the high 13s.

Comment

Let's clarify things: (so we can stop spreading misinformation)

The Camaro SS (w/ V8 of course) is $30,995 MSRP. Yes, this is base, but the SS w/ the 2SS package is $34,180. Not sure why everyone is complaining it's almost $40K, or why people say it should be close to $30K to compete w/ the Mustang...uh, guys, it is. Lay off the options...

And Bananas...what are you talking about? "GM needs to get the camaro down closer to 30K with a v8." & "Why pay 40K for a camaro when you can have a corvette for a few bucks more."

The SS is close to $30K, not $40K. And a Corvette is not "a few bucks more" It starts at $49,415. So, yes, the Camaro is not a Corvette, and yes, it costs $18,420 less, for 426 hp vs. the Corvette's 430 hp.

Let's try to enjoy the return of the best Camaro yet, and stop beating it up. Mr. Settlemire promised us the return of the Camaro, and he has delivered. It's all of this silly banter that hurts sales... the Camaro is back...enjoy!
                      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Lay off the options...
                        Well, that's the trick isn't it? I'll all for the new Camaro. What I'm not in the mood for is showing up at the dealership and in order to get a V8 car the list of "mandatory" options adds $4000 above and beyond the cost of the upgraded powertrain. I hope forced options are kept to a minimum.

Comment

The V6 one would be really tempting, even though I have always said that if I buy another Camaro it will be a V8, if my wife and I didn't just buy a new vehicle for her at about that same price. With my car paid off, it is hard to imagine having two $400 car payments along with our mortgage. However, I am fairly happy with the pricing. It would be nice if a person could buy a V8 equipped car for the $25000 that we could pay for a 4th gen Z28. Then again, this is a better car than those Z's, and the V6 has almost as much hp. I love the styling too, but is it just me or does it need a bigger/more pronounced spoiler to match the look of the rest of the SS? That little tiny spoiler just doesn't change the look of the car enough for me. I would definitely be looking at the aftermarket if I did buy one. I built a very nice looking 2SS on the site and that was the only improvement I could think of that it needed cosmetically. Anyway, man....I wish my wife's car was paid off...maybe by the 2011 model year...ugh..wishful thinking.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

go Camaro... Sell Sell Sell!!!!! i mean it..........

but don't mess wit me........

i keel U..................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs

i keel U..................
                              Oh you mean:
                              1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                              2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                              1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Working...
                              X