Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other New Guy

Hi, I'm Matt...
    Let's see here... I'm an active member of a lot of online communities like this, so noob videos like this are of years past. Even if I'm still a youthful 23.

I hail from Grand Rapids, MI (home of Berger Chevrolet, where I worked for a while) and both grandpas worked for and retired from GM. One great grandpa worked there at the stamping plant on 36th street that'll be closing later this year, and two uncles work(ed) for GM for a looong time. So it runs in the blood. Here's my 'fleet'.

I have a 1990 Honda Civic I can't wait to get rid of, but it always starts and is cheap on gas, even if reverse works intermittently and the turn signal lens came out after going through a puddle once. Just a winterbeater, so moving onto some proper machinery...

1996 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)- basically stock, right now getting lots of TLC as it's my 'current project' to be a streetable yet capable machine.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r- plasma blue matallic and basically stock. Being my first bike to accumulate any decent miles, it also went asphalt diving a couple of times, suffering mostly cosmetic damage. This is another project, and is my 'summer dd' here in Michigan. Before was a '77 Honda cb550 that I didn't have the time for as it needed a lot more work to be truly roadworthy, and I sold that to a collector.

1974 AMC Javelin- dad is original owner. I was stupid and didn't get a copy of the original title to prove it a couple years back when I transferred it to my name. 360v8, 4sp, 3.54twingrip. Currently in storage as this is quite an extensive project and I'll need my own garage to fix this up in.

...no Camaro or Firebird.

I've always liked them, especially the 3rdgens since being a little impressionable kid in the 80s, always wanted a red with black stripes Z28 ttop. Lo and behold, my mom's coworker has a mint '85 just like that. Maybe someday... I thought of a 3800v6 one would be neat with a hairdrier on it a'la Buick GNX, but of course I only have so much in terms of resources.

The gf wants a convertible someday, and well, a convertible fbody is what came to mind... so add another to the 'maybe someday' list of cars.

So, that's me... I'm not going to drawl on and on anymore.
    -Matt

Hmmm...what's wrong with this picture?

GM runs "in the blood" and you have a Honda, a Jeep, a Kawasaki, and an AMC???

Sounds to me, "one of these things is not like the other..."

Welcome aboard...go get a GM.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

WELCOME fellow West Michiganian!! I am just a few miles north of you. This is easily the best f-body board on the net.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Hmmm...what's wrong with this picture?

GM runs "in the blood" and you have a Honda, a Jeep, a Kawasaki, and an AMC???

Sounds to me, "one of these things is not like the other..."

Welcome aboard...go get a GM.
        No offense taken... all previous cars were GM (93 Saturn coupe I used to pick on hondas back in HS and then a Pontiac GrandAm I had for a while). Next car I get will be GM- currently looking at a pontiac bonneville at the moment. Neighbor wants a newer car, hmmm... After the Honda goes, I'm DONE with the Jap cars. They're not all they're caked up to be.

I've always liked Jeeps (pre-97... they got 'Chryslerized' in '97), and motorcycles, and the Javelin was given to me by dad (technically stepdad). I like how it's really different, so I think it'd be a really neat project.

Comment

my favorite car I ever owned, was my 68 SS 396 Chevelle.....

so whats with your user name? curious.

welcome to the forum.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
            my favorite car I ever owned, was my 68 SS 396 Chevelle.....

so whats with your user name? curious.

welcome to the forum.
            My mom had a '70 Malibu, dark green inside and out. Nothing special besides a 'prisim pinstripe' she put on (the GM workers are on her side of the family, and Grandpa turned wrenches on the side, and mom picked up some skills). Well, when I was in about 6th grade and my interest of cars was picking up to more than the 'smokey and the bandit car' I had my face in a muscle car book and it was 'love at first sight'. Mom had mentioned Malibu and Chevelle before so I took the book to her and she said hers looked like that but without the stripes.

So, even though mom just had a base coupe, if she'd have kept it in storage or something, I'd have a good foundation for a LS6 'clone' (even a more mild LS5 would be pretty cool) or even a nice sbc powered cruiser.

I chose the SSLS6 at the end of it since chevelle and chevelless were already taken when I got my first email address, and all GM guys know what the LS6 is, circa 1970. So, I just use the first part of my email address for my usernames, and haven't bothered changing my email to anything else, just since I thought of it as an inconvenience to have to get everyone to switch over to the new.

P.S. I love goldens... had one a few years ago... he's in a better place now. (When he was around, imagine a slightly fat Reno with Rocky's face) Parent's won't let me get another one, but they have some 'barking kitten' Chihuahua now :/. How did you get into them?

Comment

First of all, welcome to the boards! Good to have another active member here. You'll find this an invaluable resource for just about anything, not just cars.

Originally posted by ChevelleSSLS6
              After the Honda goes, I'm DONE with the Jap cars. They're not all they're caked up to be.
              I can see where you're coming from. I used to have a cheap winter beater. A 1991 Toyota Tercel 5-speed. It always ran but never ran well. Things broke on it and it just felt cheap. It soured me on Japanese cars for a long time... Until I bought a newer, non-econo box. Now I understand what quality means. I wish GM understood that sooner. They're almost there, but I hope it isn't too late.

Anyway, welcome again and look forward to some pics of those projects!
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

+1
                Your projects don't even exist without pics...Although I shouldn't talk...
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ChevelleSSLS6
                    My mom had a '70 Malibu, dark green inside and out. Nothing special besides a 'prisim pinstripe' she put on (the GM workers are on her side of the family, and Grandpa turned wrenches on the side, and mom picked up some skills). Well, when I was in about 6th grade and my interest of cars was picking up to more than the 'smokey and the bandit car' I had my face in a muscle car book and it was 'love at first sight'. Mom had mentioned Malibu and Chevelle before so I took the book to her and she said hers looked like that but without the stripes.

So, even though mom just had a base coupe, if she'd have kept it in storage or something, I'd have a good foundation for a LS6 'clone' (even a more mild LS5 would be pretty cool) or even a nice sbc powered cruiser.

I chose the SSLS6 at the end of it since chevelle and chevelless were already taken when I got my first email address, and all GM guys know what the LS6 is, circa 1970. So, I just use the first part of my email address for my usernames, and haven't bothered changing my email to anything else, just since I thought of it as an inconvenience to have to get everyone to switch over to the new.

P.S. I love goldens... had one a few years ago... he's in a better place now. (When he was around, imagine a slightly fat Reno with Rocky's face) Parent's won't let me get another one, but they have some 'barking kitten' Chihuahua now :/. How did you get into them?
                    my wife is the golden retriever person.. im into wolfdogs...and wolves.. been rescuing and working with them since the mid 80's.... my current gal is pictured here...she's a high mid content...

anyway.. my wife is the Intake Coordinator for http://www.grreat.org..

two of our goldens are rescues.

they are also the best canine to raise a wolfdog with...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ken, how's shelby been doing lately?
                      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
                      X