Friday, april 10, Arlington Cemetery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, april 10, Arlington Cemetery

My dad, retired AF Col., WWII, Korean War, 2 tour Viet Nam fighter pilot, Bronze Star, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, was laid to rest.

The full military ceremony went without a hitch. It was just unreal.. I left with swollen eyes and lump the size of an orange in my throat. Not only for my Fathers great service to our country, but just thinking of all the previous ceremonies that preceded this one, seeing all the grave stones..... America's military just plain rocks......

so for those that have not had the honor to see one of these, here are few pics. My nephew took a video of the whole thing.

We followed the hurst to the staging area where we met with the USAF Honor Guard and the Band. We stood outside our vehicles while the honor guard unloaded the casket onto the horse drawn carriage. We then followed that to the grave site section. We then followed the honor guard carrying the casket to the grave site for the Chaplins ceremony. After that, a 21 gun salute was done from a distance (very loud)... then the Band Played. at the end... taps was played from a distance by a lone soldier.

Since my dad had remarried, and his second wife came "on board" after his military career was over, the flag was given to my sister.

The Chaplin read all his commendations and medals to the procession, some of which Dad never told me he had...

Anyway, I appreciate all the posts earlier, and its with great pride I offer these pictures showing what an awesome Country we have and how they care for the military that serves it:

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

RIP

He truly had an outstanding record.

Comment

God Bless him and all of our troops
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Wow, what honor. He deserved all of it for his service and what you speak of, Ken.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

my Dad, my hero. I am sure going to miss him. Made me what I am today....

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Truly awe inspiring...I'm all choked up now...the world lost another great one.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

God Bless him and those he left behind- He served our country and we, as a country owe him for this service-

You are lucky to have they years with him that you did- my dad, Annapolis grad class of '46 died at age 57, far too young- Their dad, my grandfather, was calvary in WW I- My family has been fighting for this country since the revolution- you can google a captain if the revolutionary war with my name- buried in upstate NY, like the rest of my family-

I am sure your dad was quite proud of how you turned out, Ken- he obviously did a good job raising you-
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

thaks Willy. He was gone to Nam twice and did quite a bit of TDY..being the oldest of the three kids, it kinda put the ball in my court to take care of things Mom couldnt handle.. i think that helped me grow up quicker than some...

now ive regressed.. LOL

Comment

Both of my grandfathers were in WWII. A paraplegic merchant marine that served in Pearl Harbor, and a Submarine Navigator assigned to protect FDR's private ship in the Pacific.

Thought I would share that if we are to speak of ancestry.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those pics, Ken.

A great send-off for a great man.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

What an honor, Ken. Thank you for sharing. I hold a lot of respect for our veterans.
                      Greg W. in West Michigan
                      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                      <Motor out

Comment

What an honor to be buried their! Your Father's generation was the greatest in living memory. When my Grandfather passed away, I found out he was a "Pharmacists Assistant" in the Navy during WW II. That duty was entailed removing the remains of the non-living from bruning wrechage and etc.. He never talked about it with the Family. I'm sure those metels and awards you father never told you about were the ones that were some the hardest to be earned by him.
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

Great pics and thanks for sharing your story with us. Your dad's a hero in my book.
                          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
                          X