Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read the articles about GM bankruptcy/restructuring today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read the articles about GM bankruptcy/restructuring today?

It looks like the idea is to put Chevrolet, Cadillac, and profitable international assets in one company while placing the rest in a different company to be liquidated.

...actually, that is probably the best plan. All I care about is Chevy and Cadillac anyway.

Pontiac cars have been DOA for a long time. Buick doesn't have the interest. GMC is kinda pointless, and the luxury trucks are done by Cadillac. Saturn is completely pointless. Hummer was done completely wrong. SAAB is a waste of time.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I thought Buick was kicking ass overseas?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu
      I thought Buick was kicking ass overseas?
      This might qualify as a profitable international asset (China loves them)...we might not see them in North America.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I like the Pontiac G8 though.

GF's uncle has one and is proud to say he gets 15mpg.

The others all look like chick cars, all smiley and crap how everything is a 'v' shape. Low in the middle, high on the sides and with a 'big butt'. Most vehicles are that way these days though. Even the new camaro shows it in the 'smile' shaped grill.

Buick has finally met the standards of the competition, in a quick but probably too late recovery from cranking out too many rental fleet beige Centurys in the 1990s. I think they're dead.

Saab is a niche brand, kinda like volvo.

Saturn is GM's import fighter brand, and was starting to attract young people with the ION Redline (same as Cobalt supercharged). With the Astra, only one blah engine is available, and nothing to appeal to the enthusiasts... far different from the Astra sold in europe, everything from sedated to angry ecotecs and a diesel under the hood. Aura is ok, Sky looks better than solstice, but the SUVs I think are ugly and look like eggs. I would say either revamp Saturn (which GM lacks resources) or send it away with Saab.

With Cadillac making luxury trucks, GMC has no purpose. I like their styling better than the Chevrolet style, and denali aside, there's not a lot of difference in the two with price and options.

Hummer is a niche like Saab. Unload.

I hate to see GM split and be liquidated... why can't it 'close' divisions unitil the need would potentially arise again? If the current fwd Pontiacs didn't scream 'chick car' and were sportier than Chevrolets in more than looks, I think they'd have a purpose. The 99-05 Grand Am was a looker, but I still don't like the exterior of the G6.

The Impala looks like a updated and 9/8 scale 1996 Lumina. Why? Not a bad design, but nothing to get exited about. EPA fuel mileage regs have caused Chevrolet to kill off the rwd impala (supposedly based on a updated G8/whatever else platform), so yea.

I think it's a lost cause, we have passed the point of no return.

2010 Camaro looks like a smiley, happy car basking in the sunshine. The modern universal 'smiley car' look aside, I like it. Especially topless.

Comment

Working...
        X