Good reason to start hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good reason to start hunting

Found myself doing 35mph before 4 dear jumped in the path my 1994 v6 Camaro. 15 feet in front of them, was a literal, 90 degree right turn.

I turned left, and back hard right again, but I didn't catch from left to right. Side swiping a telephone pole.

Luckily I am ok, but my car is not. Since that quarter is welded on, its not gonna be a simple fix.

Beauty side of my car

EDIT-- Sorry these pics are massive, ironically enough I pasted them through tinypic.

that happened to my bro a few weeks back, and thats how i ended up totalling my dodge ram

im working on my hunting license, then its a matter of my 870 12 gauge and bambi is mine! owes me a truck!

2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

bumer.

Comment

Sucks for sure...glad you only side swiped it though...could have been much worse.

I always worry about this on my drive to work in the dark. I see them all the time on the sides of the road and In 2005 I hit 2 deer with my van. I hadn't even fixed the damage from the first one when I hit the second. So far I've been able to avoid them with the Camaro, although I have had to hit the brakes more than a few times.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
        '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
        Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Stupid suicidal deer! We have been seeing more and more deer hits as of late. It is a little early for them to be out.

The first rule when it comes to deer in your path is to never swerve. It is usually less expensive to just hit the deer head on than to side-swipe a pole. I am not sure about your state but in Michigan if you hit a deer it is a comprehensive claim that doesn't count against your premium whereas if you hit a pole, tree, mailbox, other car, etc, it is a collision claim that counts against you if you are 50% or more at fault. Even though, we are a "no-fault" insurance state.

If/when you get an estimate, let me know and I can run it through our system so you have an idea whether you are getting an accurate estimate or not.

ETA:I could be seeing things but it looks like it has had a little filler in it before.(right behind and below the gas door) It definately needs a quarter and a repair on the inner quarter but I think the door can be saved.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

AAA says "hit the deer".............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I've read about Deer collisions where the person braked hard as they could, hit the Deer, and DECAPITATED the driver as the body and legs careened through the 2-ply windshield supossedly which was designed with safety in mind to make this an impossibility ... Then around Maine you don't want to read about Moose collsions . I surely don't want to be James Dean impersonator !
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

Yeah thats like hitting a horse or cow. It occasionally happens around here and is usually pretty bad. I have yet to see/hear of anybody getting hurt around here because of a deer(I have been in the business for nine years). I have seen where a buck stuck hit antlers through a drivers window but it missed the driver by inches.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

There is a huge deer problem around where I live (Valley Forge Park). They're actually talking about hiring sharpshooters to take out 80% of the poplulation. Of course, the groups that think that shooting deer is inhumane is protesting about it. My guess is that not one of them hit a deer at highway speeds.
                  Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

that sucks

I hit one years ago in a 86 mustang. I was going about 65 when it jumped out in front of me. Didnt have time to dodge it or brake. I hits its head and shoulder. It knocked out my head light and crumpled the fender. The front just flexed but it spidered the paint. I didnt even stop, figured Ill look at the damage when I got home. I ended up getting a fender and light, primered the car and put gt whls on it. Then sold it. I made money on the car and drove it for over two years.

Comment

It would actually make sense not to slow down if your very close to the deer as with our type of cars, have a nosedive while braking. More likely to send the deer over the car rather than just smashing it head on.

I went out and bought a junkyard quarter with no rust for 50$, now just need two of my buddys to weld her on for me and do the rest of the paint work. Appreciate the understanding, my dad drives a lifted f450, he wonders why I swerved at the deer.

Comment

Working...
                      X