X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM is getting rid of Pontiac!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...cWM&refer=home
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

“I should have seen the signs: You can’t even order a 2010 Pontiac G6,” said Russ Shelton, a Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer in Rochester Hills, Michigan. “Once they make this announcement, those are basically sales-proof.”
    I was really hoping that this wasn't happening. Don't really know what to say. Urgh

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Screw GM. There's nothing left there for me to buy now.

Why save redundant GMC over not redundant Pontiac??? After all, anything you could get from GMC you can get in Chevy form for less?

The G8 is a great sports sedan aiming at the BMW market for far less. The Solstice is a great summer car. The G6 is the successor to the highly successful Grand Am.

Why would you get rid of the only exciting thing at GM, apart from Camaro and Corvette???
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I never understood GM doing GMC.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

For those of you concerned about the G8. If it is in any way profitable to make this car, GM could re-badge it as a Grand National or the new Impala.
          Pontiac over the past 10 years has been worthless; it is not surprising that it is on the chopping block. GMC sells. We may see it die as the government kills trucks…we shall see. If we see Chevrolet and Cadillac rise from the ashes, we should consider that success.
          Personally, I don’t care about any of it. It looks like the general population is stupid enough to jump on the global warming farce of a band wagon, and cars as we know them will no longer exist in the next decade. The days of the internal combustion engine are numbered in passenger cars. Any mods to our existing cars that increase carbon output will be banned.
          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by 3800_Firebird
            Why save redundant GMC over not redundant Pontiac??? After all, anything you could get from GMC you can get in Chevy form for less?

???
            Becuase they are thinking with their wallets. GMC is their truck division which makes more profit than the Pontiac car division.

Comment

well as of 9am today EST It's OFFICIAL

RIP Pontiac (2010)
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

I'm struggling with this decision...

One one hand, my last 4 cars are:

1996 T/A (still have it)
                1997 Sunfire GT
                2000 Montana (sold to my sister-in-law)
                2003 Vibe GT (still have it)

Obviously...I'm a Pontiac guy. So, seeing the brand die is killing me.

However, I'm also a GM stock holder (have way more shares than I care to discuss (yes, I was a believer and "drank the Kool-aid" in big gulps). So, if this avoids bankruptcy, then I'm all for it. What does this mean for us stockholders??? Not sure, but it's better than the alternative.

Either way...I don't like change. So, this is a bad day for me...

BTW - I just bought a Buick Enclave CXL so I'm still a GM guy
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                X