TA on Mythbusters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TA on Mythbusters

I saw a preview for the new Mythbusters, and it looked like they are using an LT1 Trans Am for the one myth. I believe the myth is to determine if it is possible for a smoking tire to catch fire. Sounds like a good enough reason to me to burn some rubber. At least they picked the right car for the job. It is supposed to be on tonight.
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Haha nice! I'm definitely going to check it out. Everyone likes seeing burning rubber, plus its an Lt1
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

Do you know when it's on?
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

ive seen it on you tube

There was a jeep that roasted them till they flamed.

Comment

Jeep tire fire
          Heh, I wonder if he added a little extra "fluid" to that tire beforehand...
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

hmmm

I would say it could happen depending on the tire compound, and if the belts were making sparks w/ the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by njrextreme
              I would say it could happen depending on the tire compound, and if the belts were making sparks w/ the ground.
              tires have oil(basically) in them, get them hot enough and they will light up, i use to go to burnout contest and the piles of rubbers on the pad would always be on fire
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                ...the piles of rubbers on the pad would always be on fire
                That was basically the only way they got it to happen on the show. The tires themselves failed long before catching on fire but the piles of used rubber did start to burn. They even tried to "help" by providing sparks from a grinder along with gasoline. Myth BUSTED!
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

The green LT1 had borla exhaust LOL!

Myth Confirmed
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMR5dDEdkg
                  1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

I really wish I saw the episode! So it was a possibly bolt-on LT1. I wonder where they got it?? How did it sound?

They film up in Alameda, about 25-35 minutes from where I live. If they needed to borrow my T/A for a myth test, I would be happy to!! Although, only if they did some kind of speed test that was sure not to destroy the car, unlike this one.
                    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

My bro inlaw did it with a 87' 5.0 t-bird it was about 90degrees that day, I laughed mt a$$ off.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by 96FirebirdFormula
                        The green LT1 had borla exhaust LOL!

Myth Confirmed
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMR5dDEdkg

NOW THAT IS A BURNOUT
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

Here's the video:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9-Igb5u9Y

I suspect Discovery might take it down in the near future. I love the part when Jamie take the car "through its paces". They obviously love the power of the LT1
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

they beat that trans am so hard.

anyone notices the z28 rims on it... (that he later tossed aside)

Comment

Yup, I noticed the salad shooters for the 2nd and 3rd sets of tires. I also noticed how they tried to fake us by showing a slow-motion shot of the 2nd tire blow out by showing us the 5 spoke wheel. I'll bet nobody noticed except for us f-body freaks

Comment

Working...
                              X