X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read it. keep your comments civil.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=137010

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Excellent marketing ad. Hope they can come up with more like that.
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Well, that's what they have to do to make it work and I think they will.

I live in Honeoye Falls, NY where one of the alternative fuel development plants is located. They are extremely focused and ready to take GM into the future.
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

It's still the same old rock and roll to me.
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I liked it. Way to go, GM.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Unless they get rid of the top leadership and get new blood (perhaps from Europe), I don't believe it. "Its time for change".

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

I don't know what to expect from the "New GM". I will not support Government Motors. As long as the government and unions own the company, I won't support them.

The only cars that I like at GM are the Corvette and Camaro, and I have no doubt that the government will destroy both of these cars. It is too bad that the Camaro wasn't done in 2005 as it should have been; I would have one in my garage. It is too bad that the RWD platform didn't occur in 2000 or earlier as it should have been...killing the b-body was a huge mistake (the post '96 Impala is junk). It is too bad that GM didn't replace the 3.8 five years sooner, and build better mid-size cars in the early 2000s. GM had no replacement for the b-body, the f-body, and they made IFS yuppie trucks that had no place in a ranch/farm or construction environment. The cars were built with the extremely old and outdated 3.8s well into the 2000s using cost savings on materials and utilizing shabby parts. The transmission mated to the 3.8 had the notorious (TCC valve issue). I liked the looks of my 2000 Bonneville SSEI, but the trans was junk. My opinion of GM changed with the ownership of that car. There was not even a place to compare my 3/4 Dodge with a Chevy. The V10 with a Dana 60 Front and Dana 70 Rear outworked the Chevy both on and off the pavement in every category. Now, GM is going to be forced to build envrio junk cars by the government that I don't want all while subsidizing the union with our tax dollars (the comparison to Amtrak (AMTRAP) was really good. GM did so many things to kill their cars for people like me who have bought them since 1990. There are a few good corporate GM cars from 1980 to the present, but I just can't support them anymore. Perhaps if they listened to their faithful the past decade, they may have weathered this storm. I will buy the stuff they made in the past, but they are dead to me.

The only GM or Chrysler product I will buy is pre '09. If I buy new, it will be from Ford, BMW, or VW. Ford earned my business with their products and avoidance of government intervention. My wife may buy a new Camaro, but I am mixed on the idea. I certainly don't want a '08-'10 model because of all the issues and plant closures. There are plenty of used Vette's.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I grew up a GM fan in a GM-only household. Every vehicle I owned prior thew my current car was a GM. I really rooted for GM to pull out of this. When it came down to selling my Trans Am, I wanted a car that I could be proud of because it was practical, built and designed well, yet fun to drive. I really tried finding that in GM and came up empty. The Acura TL had everything I was looking for, including being built by non-union Americans.

Even though I strayed this time, I was rooting for a GM comeback for my next purchase in a couple years. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall. The UAW has destroyed GM and will continue to do so.

I like where GM is going with the add campaign, but it doesn't "fix" the underlying problem. I also worry the passion GM seemed to put into their car designs will be squashed by cafe standards and government pressures to built smaller, boring cars.

Once again, I'll root for them to make a comeback... But we all know how this movie ends.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

By bigtone408 | Sunnyvale, CA June 2, 2009 09:23:23 am:

While I agree with you Scott, the one thing that is not mentioned here is government's role. I don't think the government really cares what the consumer wants or our collective issues. GM is now an arm of the government to institute policy; the profit motive is gone. I look for GM to be the next version of AIG, a bottomless pit of taxpayer subsidies for cars that Americans really don't want. A bad business model is still a bad business model no matter who the CEO is; Waggoner or Barack.

---------------------

I agree with this comment on the article the most. Government Motors will be forced to build cars that the government THINKS we should drive, not what we want to drive. GM is the next Amtrak.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X