After years of chasing the dream....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After years of chasing the dream....

I'm finally going for my pilot's license. I had two lessons already and my third is on July 3rd. My kids got me a flight log book for Father's Day and a gift certificate at the flight school.

There truly is no bigger freedom than flying. The first time I went up, I was hooked. It's a long, expensive process, but if I don't do it now, I'll never do it.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

congrats. thats quite an accomplishment!

my Dad loved to fly... even when he was not flying combat..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Congrats! I went up for training in an AT-6 back in March. I did find out that my physical limit is about the 4th consecutive axial roll. That's where some vertigo set in. I guess that's something that will have to be worked on. Besides that, what a blast. The g forces a bit suprising at first, then it becomes fun.

Yeah, it's expensive. Consider light sport, it's less expensive and all the hours you log will go toward your regular license.

Comment

All right!!! That is one of the regrets that I have not gotten to do in my life so far. It really is amazing. Look at all of the songs written about flying and how long mankind has dreamed about it.

Several years ago I got to fly in a Pitts S2B aerobatic plane sponsored by Holiday Inn and Coca-Cola. We got to all of the aerobatics. We pulled 4.5 Gs which wasn't a big deal. The oddest feeling to me was looking down on radio transmit towers and wondering if we would clear them. You should go somewhere where you can ride in a plane that can do aerobatics. There are a bunch scattered around the country. There is a place here in Atlanta where you can fly in a T6 Texan and dogfight with lasers and smoke systems to simulate a hit. They fly out of Charlie Brown field in Fulton County.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

I've wanted to be a pilot ever since I was 5 years old and my grandfather would walk me over to Danbury Airport (the municipal airport in my town) and we would watch the planes take off and land. He lived 500 feet from the airport so it was something we did often.

I have my choice of two planes to learn with. A Cessna 172 or a Piper Warrior II. I chose the Piper because of the wing setup. I wasn't as comfortable with the high-wing structure of the Cessna as I was with the low-wing style of the Warrior, The Cessna is a bit more powerful but not quite as maneuverable, although the Cessna is a little more stable.

Here's what I'm flying:

The cockpit:

Ken - Your father had to be one amazing pilot to even be given the chance to fly a military plane, let alone in combat. I hope I'm half that capable.

Joe - Sounds awesome! I've never gone upside down in a plane yet. I'm hoping to keep it that way in the Piper. Good advice on the light sport aircraft. I actually looked into it. Unfortunately, they aren't as readily available in my area as they are in Florida due to the terrain here. My cousin is flight training down in Jax and he started in light sport the first four lessons.

Jeff - Just getting to fly in a aerobatic plane must have been an enormous thrill. Not many people have done that. If you've really wanted to fly, look into it at your local airport. Anyone can do what they call an "intro flight". Basically, it's about $75-$85 and they get you in the air and hand over the controls. Have you do some turns and they'll land. It's enough to get you hooked. It's about a half hour long and it goes into your flight log if you continue with lessons.

I'm not sure how much I'll actually fly after I finish my lessons because of the expense, but even if it's only the required once a year, it's totally worth it.
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

Comment

Maybe not as thrilling but have you considered an ultra light plane?
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
            <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
              Maybe not as thrilling but have you considered an ultra light plane?
              Yes! They are a big thrill to fly from what I understand and far cheaper to own. So maneuverable and agile. I might try one out after I finish with my single-engine license.
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

Comment

My boss owns one. He hasn't flown it in a decade but he says it was a lot of fun. Sadly, in the nine years I have worked for him it has sat folded up in his trailer. I have seen photos though. He is full of stories too. Every spring he talks about getting it out and recovering the wings and going through the motor...Someday he actually might.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                X