• Picked up a new DD

Took the plunge and got a new vehicle.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    58K miles
    Supercharged 3.8L Series III
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

I always liked those. Sweet ride dude, love the color.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I picked one up a couple years ago. It's no Camaro, but pretty entertaining for a front driver and a great highway cruiser. You'll be surprised how much it'll hold with all the passenger seats down.

Make sure you top off the supercharger oil. Mine was down by almost half a bottle.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Nice car. Makes a great daily driver. Good luck with it!
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
          Make sure you top off the supercharger oil. Mine was down by almost half a bottle.
          Actually, I have a question in that area...

I have never owned a supercharged car before now. Are there any things in particular I need to watch out for?

Would you have any suggestions for a GP specific forum?
          I'm currently evaluating grandprixforums.net
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

ClubGP.com is the best place to go for answers. Here's their write-up on adding supercharger oil:

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=13

It only takes a minute to do and you'll just need an allen wrench and supercharger oil. The oil is specific to the supercharger and you can order it at a GM dealership. PFYC.com carries it also. Some folks use a baster to remove the old stuff before refilling, but the manual says that you only have to top it off.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Geez man...you scared me there for a second. When the picture first opened, all I saw was the Toyota dealer sign. I said to myself....Nooooooooo!

Then I saw the car...whew...don't scare me like that.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

That is a great new DD! I can't wait until I can get something great like that. Hope you didn't pay too much for it!
                Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                pics and info

Comment

I had one of those as a rental for about 2000 miles. it was a great car!

Comment

I drove an '04 GP-GTII for about 4 years.
                    My daughter drives it now & it has nearly 165k miles on it. We replaced the water-pump around 100k, & replaced the front wheel bearings at 160k.
                    (Not supercharged tho, but I always had my foot in it anyway, ...)

Nice ride, Good Luck!
                    And ClubGP is THE place for GP info.
                    1) 2001 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Firehawk
                    2) 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
                    3) 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTII
                    4) 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
                    5) 1996 Chevrolet Blazer
                    6) 1993 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Softail Springer

Comment

did they fix the supercharger belt tensioner yet? i knew they use to lock up and eat the belt
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                        did they fix the supercharger belt tensioner yet? i knew they use to lock up and eat the belt
                        Actually, I had to replace mine earlier this year. I didn't have a chance to compare the parts to see if there've been any changes though.

Also, the headlights/foglights assemblies on the 2004 & 2005 models have been known to haze up over time. HeadlightsDepot at Ebay has good replacements at a decent price of $125.

I just installed headlight assembly replacements in less than two minutes flat. This car is so easy to work on compared to my '96 Z28.

Cheap upgrades for handling include front & rear strut tower braces, trailing arms, and a rear stabilizer bar. These are all GM parts. They all bolt in easily, but the STB's need brackets that can be found on clubgp.com. The rear stabilizer from the CompG noticeably helps the understeer. I just wish I had the bucks for the whole CompG suspension.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                          Also, the headlights/foglights assemblies on the 2004 & 2005 models have been known to haze up over time.
                          Ya, my headlights are in bad shape. Not so much hazy but pitted badly.

You would have to tempt me with mods already wouldn't you...
                          Links to any of those parts???

Question,
                          Do you run premium like the manual "suggests" or just regular?
                          My DD
                          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Yeah, I know. I told myself I wouldn't do any mods too. I tried to choose carefully based on price and bang for the buck and didn't go all out.

I only use premium because my PCM's been reprogrammed. I did use 87 on a few occassions before that. The manual says it's safe to use. Power is down noticably. GM says it still makes 240HP with regular gas. Mileage also dropped slightly and ate into any savings that I had at the gas pump.

Front and Rear STB's were originally Buick parts and were about $30 last I checked. (GM part #12456148) You'll need mounting brackets though as they don't bolt up directly by themselves, unless you don't mind drilling holes. Here are the brackets I used: http://www.drcustomparts.com/

GMPP has HD Rear Trailing arms for relatively cheap. zzperformance.com sells them for $65.

I don't have the part number for the rear stabilizer bar, but it's the same one off of the CompG. I reused the same bushings but you can use some poly-bushings if you want to go all out. They'll need some slight modification though because the bushing bracket on the car uses a clip and one bolt instead of just two bolts. This did help the understeer and is the one I'd recommend if you're only going to do one thing.
                            Joe K.
                            '11 BMW 328i
                            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Well...
                              I must admit I was not informed about the options available on the GP.
                              Apparently, neither was the dealer...

As it turns out my car is a Comp G and I didn't even know it (I don't think the dealer did either).

It has TAP Shift

red painted calipers

and then there's this...

So,
                              I apparently have the upgraded rear sway bar already.
                              The STBs and HD Rear Trailing arms are still upgrades yes?
                              My DD
                              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                              X