X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Having Problems With a Cop

ADD VERSION AT THE END********

Ok here's the short story and all opinions are welcomed:

For 23 years my family has lived beside a small open field park. For almost all of those years a certain township soccer club has played there in the Spring and Fall. When I was little I played for years with the organization. It was a great group to be a part of. As a health and phys ed. teacher I really appreciate what they do for the community.

Now more recently, a county police officer has become the president of the soccer club. The club has seen increased growth so a concession stand was built and a nice sign outside the park was erected. It was good to see the club doing so well.

I first met this cop last year when I was alone in the park (as it is often empty) and a van pulls up to the concession stand and a guy with keys goes inside. No big deal, I'm just golfin here! So I am about to hit a ball and the guy comes over to me and tells me I can't golf there and I need a permit if I do want to play. He tells me that he's serious and that he's a cop and the president of the soccer club and that "He knows the law" and I should "look it up". Now remember, he is NOT a local cop but lives in the township.

So online you can look up any code or ordinance from our township's page. The word "golf" or a variant of the word only appears once and stipulates that if I am having like a fair or something an charging people for it I need a permit to occupy the field.

Fast forward to this summer. He is apparently buddy-buddy with the local cops (aren't they all?). After several years of my neighbors and our family leaving about a total of three cars over in the lot overnight in the corner we get warnings that next time our cars will be towed. OK, fair enough there is a ordinance against it, but really after all this time?

He also plopped a porta john infront of our house. First thing you see when you wake up is a beautiful landscape and a porta john right in front of you. We requested he move it sighting health concerns and after a month he moves it over to the concession stand. Today the John was back. Now more recently this officer has refused to move it after we complained to the police about people parking in our driveways.

He told us that he doesn't need a permit from the health department for the porta john and the concession stand because once again "he knows the law". That turned out to be false again and we reported it.

We aren't the only ones either. This cop has gotten into heated debates with other neighbors. So heated that other police had to be called. We were kicked out of the park last week when my mom and I were walking doing laps because they were having a picnic. They didn't have a permit or anything.

Several groups that used to use the park left because they were bullied away by this man (I spoke to the leaders of those groups).

Now, this might seem like nickel and dime things here, but this cop if you delt with him is on a power trip from the man upstairs. He constantly tells us these BS laws that don't exist. Our whole neighborhood hates this man!

**** ADD VERSION: Cop is president of soccer club beside our house. Cop spouts intentionally false information to deter residents' local activities.

What do I do this cop who does what he wants and has the local police on his side? We NEVER had problems with this group before. They were great until he was voted president.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Find a local tv or newspaper reporter and let them go after the problem like rabid dogs. that's there specialty.

Comment

You said he's president, not owner. Go above his head. Somebody owns that land, or some entity does and has somebody in charge of it above him. He does not own the land and therefore does not make the rules as he sees fit. Get all of the former people involved with that park to write letters about why there are not there anymore. Present all of that along with your personal information to whomever is really in charge.

In the meantime, if the local police are on his side, go to the chief. Then the mayor. City council. Health department. Find every little violation he is guilty of and contact the correct department. If he wants to make you and your neighbors miserable, return the favor. And I don't care what anybody says, porta-potties are for temporary use only, not as a permanent fixture. You can nail him to the wall for that since he does not have "proper restroom facilities." You might want to call whomever is in charge of insuring proper accomodation for handicapped patrons and have them visit the park and cite him for that as well.

I'm usually not that ruthless, but when somebody gets on a power trip and believes they are above the law, especially when they are supposed to be enforcing it, I say go after them. Nobody is above the law, and he needs to be taught that.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
        In the meantime, if the local police are on his side, go to the chief.
        We have a meeting Tuesday between us, more neighbors, that guy, and the police chief.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

It sounds like you are on the right track. I would just add that numbers help. The more people you have complaining, the more embarassing it would be to the Chief to brush you under the rug and then have it pop up in the media. Good luck.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

Meeting with them is a great step. It shows you are only looking for a resolution, not a reason to complain. If the meeting doesn't go well, I'd use Joe's suggestion. Media loves to bring people down a few notches.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
              You said he's president, not owner. Go above his head. Somebody owns that land, or some entity does and has somebody in charge of it above him. He does not own the land and therefore does not make the rules as he sees fit. Get all of the former people involved with that park to write letters about why there are not there anymore. Present all of that along with your personal information to whomever is really in charge.

In the meantime, if the local police are on his side, go to the chief. Then the mayor. City council. Health department. Find every little violation he is guilty of and contact the correct department. If he wants to make you and your neighbors miserable, return the favor. And I don't care what anybody says, porta-potties are for temporary use only, not as a permanent fixture. You can nail him to the wall for that since he does not have "proper restroom facilities." You might want to call whomever is in charge of insuring proper accomodation for handicapped patrons and have them visit the park and cite him for that as well.

I'm usually not that ruthless, but when somebody gets on a power trip and believes they are above the law, especially when they are supposed to be enforcing it, I say go after them. Nobody is above the law, and he needs to be taught that.
              Except Steven Seagal

I'd do everything MN6 said. Return the favor.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I'd be amazed if a meeting between the "groups" does not put an end to it. If it doesn't, the guy should expect a phone call from you to internal affairs.

I doubt his Captain is going to want to deal with the aggravation...he probably will tell him to knock it off..before it gets out of hand.
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I hope everything goes well. My parents are going with the neighbors. I won't be there considering I now moved to Baltimore (separate thread on that coming later). Even though I'm down here it is still of great concern because this guy really ticks me off. When I come back to live in Pgh for the spring-summer I want to be able to golf and relax in that park like a used to.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Good suggestions, don't sink to his bullying level but deal with his superiors and document everything. The more people you can have on your side, especially in meetings with the mayor and other local politicians, the better. See if you can get photos of this, and ask the politicians how they would like this in front of their home. Start a petition drive, and get lots of signatures. Show that this is not a personal issue, but a pattern of abuse by this individual-

Be warned that this type of person will probably take it personally, and try to give you 'paybacks'. Try to avoid the town where he works- Most likely he has upset other officers, too, so they may be sympathetic to you.

Keep it all legal, and documented, with plenty of photos and signatures, and this type of persons actions will bring themselves down. It just may take a while. Good luck-
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu
                      I hope everything goes well. My parents are going with the neighbors. I won't be there considering I now moved to Baltimore (separate thread on that coming later). Even though I'm down here it is still of great concern because this guy really ticks me off. When I come back to live in Pgh for the spring-summer I want to be able to golf and relax in that park like a used to.
                      A Steelers fan in Baltimore?? I feel for you, man... You're a better man than I.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I would let Mr.Smith & Mr Wesson deal with the Dork. See how easy it is to fix a problem. Next
                        Blazer

Comment

Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson do not like visiting police officers, as that usually ends up with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson in a melting pot and the person who called them in prison or dead.
                          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Not to mention, at least in my part of Jersey, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson would be greeted by Mr. Glock...and lots of his friends.
                            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                            X