Picking up my new motor......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up my new motor......

heading out tomorrow to Tampa to pick up the new motor for the GN. I had Don Cruz, national record holder in TSM build up a sweet street motor. It's punched out to .040, fresh crank, rods and pistons/rings, billet roller cam, rollmaster chain, mildly worked heads, blueprinted and balanced for longevity. This motor will be a little more of a tame setup as this will be driven regularly on the street. I'm going with a milder turbo and tighter converter too, streetability and long life is the goal here.

The hot motor will get a refresh for use in...........

................ let's just say that my Blue Angel will run right with a Blue Devil.

so this was "somethings coming" ? cool. That should be sweet. Be sure and put up pics..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
      so this was "somethings coming" ? cool. That should be sweet. Be sure and put up pics..
      It's going to take some time, but lots of folks are going to get involved. All my buds here will see it as it unfolds.

Comment

Whats in the GN now that's going into Blue Angel??
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Sounds sweet! I can't wait to see the setup.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

The motor that is about to get refreshed is a .030 over 3.8 liter, forged everything, steel block girdle, o-ring deck, everything internal smoothed for oil flow. not sure of the cam choice yet, Champion Heads, TRD rollers, and the list goes on. Rated for max of 750 lbs of torque. If I keep it to a conservative 680-700 lbs, it should be enough to motivate a 3300 lb car quite well. Some custom parts like headers will need to be fabricated, the turbo TA headers are very scarce. This configuration is just like the 89 turbo TA pace car, just a whole lot more grunt. I'm also going to enjoy not having to use a clutch. Don't get me wrong, stick shifts are nice and lots of fun to play with, in road racing that get my choice. There is a certain charm of sitting at the lights in "D" with the a/c on and blasting off like the Enterprise going in to warp all without rowing through the gears.

besides...... In my opinion, an automatic is really better suited for a turbo. you can stay at full boost during gear shifts and the extra load actually increases the power output due to the way turbo uses exhaust gases.

Comment

Sweet build, Joe! I can't wait to see the progression. Definitely keep us posted.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Here are a couple of pics, glyptol coated inner surfaces, lots of nice shiny new parts. ARP fasteners, hardened HD pushrods, it's overbuilt a bit for it's intended usage which should help it last a long time...... but stout enough to handle 114 mph in the quarter with ease.

Comment

moar picz plz
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Here are the intake and valve covers that I had cleaned and powdercoated/clear coated. Little by little, she's going to be show ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      Here are a couple of pics, glyptol coated inner surfaces, lots of nice shiny new parts. ARP fasteners, hardened HD pushrods, it's overbuilt a bit for it's intended usage which should help it last a long time...... but stout enough to handle 114 mph in the quarter with ease.

And beehives to boot... Mowr pix.
                      Greg W. in West Michigan
                      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                      <Motor out

Comment

Joe, who did you have do the cleaning and powder coating on the intake and covers? Those look sexy hot.
                        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                          Joe, who did you have do the cleaning and powder coating on the intake and covers? Those look sexy hot.
                          Thanks!

I ran across a guy about 100 miles away (Tampa) that bead blasts, powder coats about anything so I gave him a try based on other's recommendations. I thought the results were super too. I've got a few other items that need to be done but all that can be done once the car is together and working.

Comment

Mind sharing your source? I might have to see what he can do with an LT1 intake and covers.
                            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                              Mind sharing your source? I might have to see what he can do with an LT1 intake and covers.
                              You got it.

Wally Evans - 805-2226, give him a call, he lives just off Gandy Blvd.

Comment

Working...
                              X