Chance to buy something that intrigues me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance to buy something that intrigues me

I have a chance to buy a 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I assume was the donor of a 3.8 Turbo'd Grand National engine. They want $4500 for it. I have NO idea what the condition of the car is or the mileage of the vehicle/engine. I am on an email I will receive shortly and I hope to check out the car Friday. I am asking if this is a good idea if everything checks out because I know jack about the GN turbo. I just know that it was bad ass. Are these kinds of transplants common? WHAT THINGS should I look for or ask?

Thanks Guys!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Find what year motor was used. 84-85 were non intercooled cars, the 86-87 intercooled are the most desirable. Since both cars are a "G" body, quite a few parts swap right over.

Comment

Its out of the 87.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

make sure the frame aint rotted in the rear and the swap wasnt a hack job
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Will do I am taking a look at it tomorrow. They sent some grainy pics that made the car look good. My eye will be the real test tomorrow. The body only has 40K on it.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

just remember to gently knock on the body panels(like rear 1/4s, rockers, etc) to make sure they didnt do a bondo/chicken wire/macco paint job. otherwise it sounds like a nice little sleeper
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Small bolt-circle wheels, the Camaro wheels of that time will fit. Parts swap from the Buick Regal and Olds of that era, also- Semi-collectible, depending on condition- I thought the Montes came with 305 or 350 V-8's?

Sounds like it would be worth a look. Lots of hop-up parts should be available if you want to make it perform-
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

It was a no go guys. The mileage is inaccurate. He says I cant really count on it to be true. The tranny is slippin and the car's paint job is in "eh" condition. I told him thanks for his time and went my way. The engine looked great though. The problem is it has the GN engine, but the carlo tranny. =

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                X