Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think twice when taking your 59 Bel Air for a ride....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think twice when taking your 59 Bel Air for a ride....

or buy a Toyota Yaris

Malibu vs 59 Bel Air

Camry vs Yaris

Mercedes vs Smart
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Yikes to the Bel Air and Smart...geeez.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

A bel air driver would be a dead man
      2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

I Will call the smart car the dumb car from now on.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I like how it spun around from the force of the impact.
          2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

The Benz vs Benz is a no brainer. Physics 101. The Smart isn't heavy enough in that battle.

The poor Belair driver would be in for a hurtin'.

It could be a cool job though......... Wrecking cars, that is.

Comment

Well the Smart car has a Titanium frame. It bounces around but stays intact. The Yaris didn't do to well.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

It's not the car's frame that will suffer. It's the occupant.

Comment

To be fair, you need to go watch some other stuff as well. The previous model Chevy truck folded up too, with the seat breaking loose from it's mounts. The Astro van (which I drive one regularly) looked really bad. Ranger, S-10, lots of stuff folds up like a tin can in that accident, which is why the car manufacturer's don't like using their data (higher speeds than NHTSA and offset impacts versus full frontal).

There's a test they did in Europe with a Smart Car, where they ran it into an angled barrier (like our highway dividers) at 60 MPH, way faster than any testing we do. The passenger's door still opened and the driver would have survived. It may be the size of a hot wheel, but it's as tough as a hot wheel too.

What amazes me is the Nissan Versa. That thing gets 5 stars in every crash they do because it has airbags everywhere even though it starts off at 10 grand. Basically you are buying a $6,000 car with $4,000 worth of airbags in it. If you wreck it, it's totalled, but you'll walk away.
                  "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                    I Will call the smart car the dumb car from now on.
                    i always called them that, cuz for whatever reasons, the idiots up here think they are driving a sports car and see the need to cut me off, normally i wouldnt care, but when im driving a $200K front load truck that cant stop on a dime, i angers me. the guy who trained me said he was taking a right hand turn into a tight alley and one of them tried to pass him on the right he said he couldnt work the rest of the day cuz he had almost kill the woman with her young daughter in the passenger seat
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

ive been to that very place. we had some demo's a couple of years ago from work. pretty cool place. its here in VA.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

How many lives is it worth to save buying foreign oil? I can't answer that for you, you have to make that decision, but you should at least be aware of the consequences, either way- That discussion has never occurred- at least not at a national level-

We talk about the government running Chrysler or GM, but they have been passing legislation for 30 years telling manufacturers what mileage the cars need to get, so, in effect, limiting shoppers choices about what kinds of vehicles are available. Since light trucks were originally excluded, that is one of the main reasons everybody ended up buying trucks, vans and SUV's- anybody that had a family of 5 or 6 or needed to haul significant cargo- horse saddles, or lots of sports gear, canoe paddles, outboard engines, etc. ended up having to buy a truck- the law of unintended consequences where the government, in their wisdom, forced people to buy trucks because the large sedans and wagons that used to be available were no longer being made-
                        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Sort of gives new meaning to the phrase "They don't make em like they use to". If I'm not mistaken safety belts were optional on the '59. Curious to know if that dummy has a lap belt. I believe shoulder belts were also available which seems to be missing, although I don't think it would have helped him much. Just curious how they determine which equipment to use that might be optional.
                          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

that smart car got punted by a C-class benz
                            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
                            X