Roush Stage 3 F-150 - $46,000
    GMC Typhoon - 4,697 examples

Mercedes C43 AMG - 4,200 examples
    Bentley Continental R - 1,290 examples
    Buick GNX - 547 examples

Maserati Quattrporte - 55 examples

Original Artical

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Something smells with someone trading in an Austin Martin and an AMG.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Reading this article again...some thing is screwy.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Unoffical list

Didn't see an GNXs...whew.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I read about one of the Maserati's- the owner had paid something like 17 or 18 k $ for it, and it was a lemon- lots of mechanical problems, unable to keep it running right- He had tried unsuccessfully to sell it asking something around $8500- he was happy to get anything for it-

I would bet that those other high-end cars were in rough shape, maybe crashed or otherwise messed up, so that the owners saw getting ~$4000 for them was a good deal- If you had a cherry Typhoon I would expect that you would have been able to get much better offers than trading it in-
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Sorry...but I too call Bravo Sierra.

I don't care how much money these people may have had...trading in a $20K - $50K vehicle for a possible $4500 credit...makes no sense.

7,000 Aston Martins - no way this is true.

Mercedes C43 AMG - 4,200. Did they even make that MANY?

I'm thinking the article is a spoof...
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

There is a problem with the wording. The artical was meant to point out that SOME of the vehicles traded could have been the vehicles mentioned in the article. The figures stated were how many of those vehicles were manufactured, pointing out the rarity and the sadness that such neat examples were on the hit list.

for example, the GNX. They only made 547 of them, I seriously doubt a single GNX went to the CFC program. Even a rolling chassis is worth more than the rebate so that trade just won't happen.

Comment

OK...wait a minute. I think some of the problem is how the OP stated his data.

The numbers next to the cars mentioned above were not the number destroyed...they are the original number built.

So, there may have been only one or two of the listed cars destroyed. Since we have no idea of the condition they were in ( major damage), this may be true.

Ugh...talk about confusing the facts here
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Oops...Joe beat me to the punch ^^^^^^
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Real numbers:

Now that the government has finished writing the Cash for Clunkers checks, it’s released a final breakdown of the models sent to the crusher.

Among the 700,000 or so vehicles removed from the roads were 39 cars barely a year old – six Dodge Avengers alone and 10 Mercury Grand Marquises alone. Lest you believe gas-sucking domestics were the only victims, 3,595 BMWs, 2,532 Lexuses and 5,342 Mercedes met their makers as well. But not a single Hummer was ditched.

Among the more exotic machinery cast off in return for a voucher worth up to $4,500:

* 13 Porsches, among them a 1990 928 S4 with a current Kelley Blue Book value of $13,100
                    * An Aston Martin DB7 Volante, one of 140 made in 1997, with a sticker topping $130,000.
                    * 6 Maseratis
                    * A Bentley Continental R (The original sticker in 1997 was $307,100, but AutoTrader shows a number of 1990s models with asking prices ranging from $35,000 to $124,000.)
                    * An ultra-rare Buick GNX, one of just 547 built.

Here is the real list from a .gov website.

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-i...n-vehicles.pdf

BTW, there was 1 typhoon, and the Typhoon, GNX, and Aston Martin owners should have been shot on sight. A GNX is worth what, $50,000 or so? The VIN tag alone is worth more than $4500!!
                    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

This is just wrong.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The only GNX I saw on there was listed under "ASC incorporated", right towards the top...
                        Greg W. in West Michigan
                        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                        <Motor out

Comment

Unofficial count...
                          Camaros
                          1984-22
                          1985-52
                          1986-75
                          1987-66
                          1988-54
                          1989-79
                          1990-33
                          1991-127
                          1992-116
                          1993-49
                          1994-113
                          1995-106
                          1996-35
                          1997-32
                          1998-24
                          1999-16
                          2000-8
                          3rd Gen-624
                          4th Gen-383
                          TOTAL-1007

Firebird
                          1984-8
                          1985-35
                          1986-51
                          2002-1

Firebird/Formula
                          1993-27
                          1994-60
                          1995-44
                          1996-19
                          1997-23
                          1998-15

Firebird/Trans Am
                          1988-46
                          1989-51
                          1990-16
                          1991-57
                          1992-49
                          1999-11

Firebird/Trans Am/Formula
                          2000-3
                          1987-53
                          3rd Gen-366
                          4th Gen-203
                          TOTAL-569

Greg W. in West Michigan
                          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                          <Motor out

Comment

I know this thread is a little dated, but...

Who the heck traded in some of these vehicles?!?! A bit of me is ing to see a GNX gone. Heck, I would've come up with the $4500 for it. Ugh! I'm going to go in a corner now.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I'm sure that these cars, especially the high end ones, must've been in really bad shape.
                              Joe K.
                              '11 BMW 328i
                              '10 Matrix S AWD
                              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                              X