Gave my dog a motrin....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave my dog a motrin....

He's been favoring his hips lately, always sleeping, and very slow moving.

He's been like this for a while and I always just figured he was getting old.

Well I grabbed him a treat and as I walked over to him I saw the motrin in the window sill above the sink. Slipped one of them into his pup-peroni.

He's been a wild man ever since! He was doing laps around the kitchen and suicide sprints down the hallway. He even did a ninja flip in front of the front door. He ran, jumped, and turned his body mid air, then sprinted to the end of the hallway. He hasn't done that in months.

Couple things:

I read online that motrin is not good for dogs, so I won't be giving him that anymore. I've read that aleve is safe and the best thing for him.

I'm afraid that whatever is wrong with his hips is being masked by the painkiller and he could be doing more damage.

He's our 13 year old cancer survivor of 12 years. I'm guessing he has arthritis in his hips, because I'm positive it's not hip dysplasia.

What to do with this guy? He's up and walking around a lot which he usually doesn't do because he's just curled up on the floor napping. He even came out of his way get in my face and growl so I'd love on him. He had that open mouth smile looking face on with his eyes really big and alive.

What to do with this guy?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Try to find out what is really bothering him and see what treatments are available.

Our Lhasa Apso came close to rupturing a disk in his back. We had him on steroids, muscle relaxants and pain medication and he felt like new. After 10 days of meds we stop and were ok for about 12 days when he started having problems with his back end again. More meds and we were told to consider surgery at $3k a pop. Visited a clinic and were told he had a good chance to recover without surgery.

Twice he had some minor episodes and we helped with more meds. After the Holidays we gradually stopped the meds and looked into Acupuncture. The person that did the needles also gave us some herbal pills and some points on his legs to rub.

So far he's doing remarkably well and he's even started to hump our female Shih Tsu. Maybe I should take some of these pills.

Our female who is almost 10 has problem with here hind legs stiffening up. We have been feeding here Clucosamine treats for a while now and it seems to help here quite a bit.

You have to be careful with using people meds on your pets. If they can be used you should be able to find online or from your vet the info on what dosage. But first you really need to know what is wrong with him.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28

I read online that motrin is not good for dogs, so I won't be giving him that anymore. I've read that aleve is safe and the best thing for him.
      Double check that with your vet, because aleve and motrin are very similar drugs. They are in the same category of medication (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDS)
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

no human drugs. check with the vet.. Motrin is bad....can tear up their stomach.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
          no human drugs. check with the vet.. Motrin is bad....can tear up their stomach.
          I found this article...

http://arthritis.about.com/od/dogart...edications.htm

I guess I'll have to take him to the vet to get him some meds.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Be nice to him and make him comfortable. He'll appreciate that.

I just lost my decade old, best friend companion and it's heart breaking.

Comment

Working...
            X