Happy Monday!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Monday!!

Well ladies and gentlemen, I figured it out. For the past couple weeks, I couldn't figure out why my GN had less power than a friggen Yugo. But, after getting home, I finally found the problem. And I'm posting it here to give you all a good laugh.

On a hunch, I popped the air duct to the turbo from the MAF to see if I had a little surprise in there...and I did. UGH!! When I had to let the car sit, it was partially opened up, namely the driver's side valve cover and the intake in front of the turbo. So, I covered the valves and plugged the turbo with shop towels to keep anything from getting in. Well, in the process of putting everything back together, I missed one little thing. Can you guess what it was?

Hmmmmmm?

Yup, you guessed it! I left the shop towel inside the turbo inlet. GAH!!

"What have we learned little Billy?"
    "Pull the shop towel out of the turbo, you big dummy!"

Happy Monday everyone! lol
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

happens to the best of us, i left a fuel line pluged when i changed a filter then couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Sounds like when I unplugged the fuel pump and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't stay running. lol
      Steve

Comment

Lucky fellow that it didn't get into the impeller. LOL!

Comment

Boy I could tell you stories.....
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Haha that sucks, but at least it wasn't expensive to fix!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I, for one, can't laugh too hard as I've done some bone head things myself. Just glad you found it.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

So am I, esp. before the impeller sucked it in like Joe said. Good to know I'm in good company here.
                Steve

Comment

make it your official ing towel now.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

A friend of a friend was putting together the bottom side of a 350 and laid a shop towel on the completed bottom end and forgot about it. Then he somehow didn't see it when he put the oil pan on. He finished it up and put it in his truck and it lasted about 100 miles before it eventually got intertwined into the camshaft...
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

No worries, Steve. Anytime you do something dumb, we can always make you feel a LOT smarter.

I changed out the battery in my wife's 2000 Bravada a few years back. I put the new one in and leaned through the driver side window to crank it... Nothing. Nada. Wouldn't even crank. I took the cables back off the terminals, cleaned the heck out of them again, and leaned in to try again. Same thing. No signs of life.

After checking literally EVERYTHING under the hood, I sat in the car in disgust and cranked it one last time. Started right up.

.....As was the case in most GM's built during that era, I realized I forgot to put my foot on the brake before cranking.... DOH!
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

As I said, its comforting to know that I'm in good company.

And Ken, camel fleas in your bed dude.
                        Steve

Comment

Glad you found it before it caused damage... We've all done something like this once or twice..
                          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

I took my Honda's throttle body off, fixed what I needed to fix, put it back on, then took it for a test drive around the block. The pedal felt different. It didn't snap back the way it usually did, so I got home and popped the hood again. I check and the return spring isn't on the throttle body. I looked for that thing for close to an hour before I gave it up. Couldn't find it. I had to rig something up, which wound up staying on the car for 5 months.
                            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                            SOLD- Good riddance!
                            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

As an update, I drove the GN the other night. Felt good too see that boost gauge climb.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X