I hate dropping gas tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate dropping gas tanks

can't say much more than I hate GM gas tanks.

Had to drop the tank to replace the fuel level sender. Why GM never put in a trap door is beyond me.

Joe, I can't agree more. Had to drop and replace the gas tank on my old Bravada due to the beginnings of rot. That was a job no one should ever have to endure.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Not sure why, but over the last 8 years I've had to do this 6 times on 5 different cars. 4 times the tank had to be dropped, two of them I cut access panels. DOH!

Comment

hmmm, dont kno what your talking bout, on my 84 K10 its easy, 6 bolts(both straps), 4 hose clamps, and one wire to disconnect. out in less then 30 mins, inlcuding draining a full tank of gas
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

i cut the trap door and never looked back.

Glad I did too.

In 04 I replaced the fuel pump with a walbro. 3 days later it failed and I had to exchange it.

That one lasted me until May of 2009. I don't think I could have dealt with dropping that gas tank 3 or 4 times in 5 years, especially when I got that first faulty walbro.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Ah, the famous GM trap door mod- I see people doing this on S10's, pickups- Toyota figured this out by 1980- I replaced the gas gauge in a '79 or '80 Toyota in about 15 minutes, through the floor of the trunk- If GM didn't invent it, as far as they are concerned, it doesn't exist-

Sort of like the first gen old Mustangs, where the dealers had to cut the front fender liners to change shocks- that was a stock mod.
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
              Ah, the famous GM trap door mod- I see people doing this on S10's, pickups- Toyota figured this out by 1980- I replaced the gas gauge in a '79 or '80 Toyota in about 15 minutes, through the floor of the trunk- If GM didn't invent it, as far as they are concerned, it doesn't exist-

Sort of like the first gen old Mustangs, where the dealers had to cut the front fender liners to change shocks- that was a stock mod.
              My 87 Conquest had a trap door and that was a Mitsu. Made the fuel pump job so much easier.

Also, that car's pump was mounted on the tank, not in it, so it was a super easy swap.

I would just guess it's a ploy that they use to screw customers into seeing the dealer. How many average people and women are going to attempt to drop their gas tank to swap out a fuel pump?

They did it on purpose I'm sure.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28

I would just guess it's a ploy that they use to screw customers into seeing the dealer. How many average people and women are going to attempt to drop their gas tank to swap out a fuel pump?

They did it on purpose I'm sure.
                I believe that.

Comment

Working...
                X