Pontiac Delco radio p/ns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac Delco radio p/ns

I'm not sure if this is a tech topic, so I just posted in off-topic.

Does anyone know the differences in the Delco 7 band EQ CD/radios that came with our Firebirds? I know that in '96, it was labelled Monsoon along with an amp. But I've heard it's plug and play if your car came with the standard Delco one (but not sure which years). I thought all were the same, and couldn't find a trace of a Delco radio with the same p/n as mine. But there are dozens of same-looking units with different part numbers.

So I bought one off ebay, and it turns out, the quality sucks. It looks identical, but the sound is horrible. I read that it could have been a low end one from a Sunfire, but I'm not sure. I also heard that some radios had 2 built-in amps into the radio, and others had 1. The ones with 1 will have inferior sound quality. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

All I know is here are the p/ns I've gathered:
    9380152 - Delco unit
    9390772 - Delco unit that supposedly superceeded the one above
    9361462 - Delco unit from a Montana
    9390782 - Monsoon unit

I have no idea which I should get, to get good sound quality?

Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

I noticed the sound system on a 93 is different form the one on a 95 , and a newer system in the 97 upwards cars, different amps. The headunit are interchangeable.
    I think the bose ones will be different.
    i d get a cheap radio from a junkyard and test it , maybe they let you test several .
    Not sure about amps in the headunit , I think theres no amp there.

If you find a newer car at a junkyard its easy to get the whole system , amp wiring etc, its easy , dont have to mess with the door speakers wiring just plugs into the main audio loom.
    Better yet an aftermarket headunit that plays mp3 etc if you dont mind an aftermarket headunit
    I took out of the car all the aftermarket speakers and headunit that cost the previous owner like $1500 and put the whole amp/speakers/loom out of an 01 camaro and it sounds a lot better.
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Thanks, I think that's probably the way to go, since most ebay radios don't accept refunds. I'm just looking for a stock replacement because I want to keep the stock look. Everything on my T/A looks stock except for the Borla tips...and suspension/9" rear if you look under. Also, I figure the less attention, the better, for having an aftermarket stereo.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I have the original Delco 2000 head unit from my 94 Formula, but its a cassette unit. If you are interested, I'll try to find it - either in the garage or in the loft over the garage...... I have no idea what its worth.
        Attached Files
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

For what it's worth, in 96, the 10-speaker system did not say Monsoon. I have it...I know. I'm nearly positive it is the same as the 97+ Monsoon, but without the label. I think the difference came from how the amp was rated. The wire, from what I can tell, stayed the same.

If you are interested, I have the head unit, the subwoofer amp, and the subwoofers. I may even have the front speakers. All of the parts are in pristine condition too.

The h/u is the top-of-the-line model for that year...complete with eq and cd.

Since I've seen you on this board for years...I'll give you a great deal. I'd rather have someone I know take these parts.

And obviously, I'm a man of my word. So if the parts are not to your liking, I'll make it right and refund your money. They all worked great when I pulled them a few years ago, so they should perform fine.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Fred - thanks for the offer! But is that pic the exact radio? If so, it's a tape player right? Unfortunately I'm looking for a CD.

Al, will you be willing to sell the head unit alone? Also, how much does the amp weigh? Thanks so much for a great offer bud!

Comment

How does $50 plus shipping sound for the head unit? I'll even throw in the sub amp for free if you want it. It's small...about the size of a ham sandwich
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
              X