Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro surpasses Mustang

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36180212/ns/business-autos/

The new Camaro has finally taken the top spot in sales.

I wonder whats going to happen when the Mustangs new V-6 hits the street. Not to mention the new V-8 they have as well.

Comment

With the new engine options Ford has for 2011, I'm afraid it won't last long..
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

That new Mustang V6 sounds downright nasty. I wonder how they got such a good sound out of a V6 engine?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPyluzHt8E4

Then there is the comparison of the new Mustang 5.0 with the Camaro SS and the Challenger SRT................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4vfZDYyO8
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

No doubt about it...my fears about the Camaro are coming true.

It's too, damn heavy. The 11 Mustang V6 and V8 easily outperform the Camaro variants, due to a 300 lb weight advantage.

GM needs to seriously look at ways to reduce weight. The Camaro may have the power of a truck, but it also has the weight. Get it under 3,500 lbs or the car is doomed. It amazes me how much heavier these cars are than my 96...iron block and all.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I keep hearing a new chassis for the Camaro... The one they will use with the new Caddy as well. Much lighter and a bit smaller. Again, let's hope it's not too late.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
              I keep hearing a new chassis for the Camaro... The one they will use with the new Caddy as well. Much lighter and a bit smaller. Again, let's hope it's not too late.
              I read that in MotorTrend. Supposed to be in the '15 Camaro, according to them.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The sales numbers definitely show on the streets too!! They're EVERYWHERE!

Funny story: The other day I was walking to my car and this guy comes racing up to the stoplight in his brand new orange 2010 Camaro... and by the sound of it, it's clearly a 6 cylinder engine that he has going WIDE open trying to go as fast as he can between lights... so naturally I just start laughing. This kid has no idea a 6 cylinder engine sounds completely different than an 8. I get to my truck and pull out.. he's gone on at this point, but I'm still amused. I end up next to him a few red lights later and he starts revving the engine. At this point it's uncontrolled laughter that I'm sure he took as "She's impressed". I thought to myself, 'Daddy must have gotten a new toy.' And sure enough he races off, changes lanes in front of me... and... sucker was so new it didn't even have a license plate yet. I only wished he knew how dumb he looked.
                '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

its still..........a Mustang.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

We motorheads all want the same thing..... brutal acceleration. In terms of daily transportation, not everything is all about the comparison to the stopwatch. The mustrag is quick, but I can't get past the look. Something just looks out of balance from front to rear. I love the Challenger, but the sticker price of the SRT8 makes me shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      We motorheads all want the same thing..... brutal acceleration. In terms of daily transportation, not everything is all about the comparison to the stopwatch. The mustrag is quick, but I can't get past the look. Something just looks out of balance from front to rear. I love the Challenger, but the sticker price of the SRT8 makes me shudder.
                      Agreed. I think they almost had something with the 05-09 mudstain body, but not enough to seal the deal for me. The '10+ just doesn't look right. And when are they finally going to include a 6-spd.?? Geez.

As for the Challenger, I love the look, but not the weight. Waaaaay too heavy.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I have test driven the new Mustang and can tell you the drivers position in the car is not a great one at all. The shifter is way to far away, steering wheel way to big, and you have no lateral support. I felt like I was driving a pickup truck. LOL!!!! The only complaint for the drivers position in the Trans Am 4th Gen I have is I wish the seat would go back another 2 inches.

Comment

GM announced "changes" for the V6 Camaro.

The engine is now rated at 312 hp, so.....it has more horsepower than the Mustang V6, right?

Well, I find this rather amusing, and a tad bit insulting. According to the press release, the engine is identical as no changes were made. The increase in horsepower is due to Gm being too conservative.

So let me get this straight....the 304 hp Camaro was beaten by the V6 Mustang in nearly every test. But wait, the Camaro was actually 312 hp. So, the 2011 is still NOT able to outperform the V6 Mustang.

So, why did we need a press release to tell us this?

To quote: "Official press release from Chevrolet added after the jump that confirms everything above. One note: There were no actual changes made to the Camaro's V6 engine that resulted in a power increase. Rather, Chevy says the current 304-hp rating was conservative and a new SAE certification resulted in 312 hp. So that means anyone who bought a 2010 Camaro V6 shouldn't feel shortchanged, as their engine is just as powerful as the 2011 model that will start production on June 7th."

"Chevrolet supports Camaro's consumer momentum with exciting updates for 2011

312 horsepower for V6, expanded availability of Synergy color and heads-up display new for 2011

The 2010 model year proved to be a very successful and exciting year for the segment-leading Chevrolet Camaro. For the 2011 model year, Chevrolet looks to expand the car's popularity among consumers with the introduction of additional features.

"We are pleased with Camaro's success in the market during its first year of production," said Jim Campbell, U.S. Vice President, Chevrolet Marketing. "The 2010 model year has been a banner year for us, and we plan to build on this momentum."

Horsepower increase for V6 engine

The 2011 Camaro V-6 engine completed SAE certification testing and is now officially rated at 312 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 278 lb-ft of torque at 5100 rpm. This rating is eight horsepower higher than the previous year and also marks an increase in torque from the 2010 rating of 273 lb-ft.

"The 304 horsepower in the 2010 Camaro was actually a conservative rating on our end," said Tom Sutter, GM V-6 chief engineer. "But we knew already that this award-winning engine produced at least the amount of power we stated, but now we've gone the extra step in certifying the engine for this application and have verified an additional 8 horsepower."

The 3.6-liter V-6 with variable valve timing (VVT) and direct injection employs four independent cam phasers to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) supporting overall engine response and drivability. When combined, direct-injection and VVT enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

SAE certification is a voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. Chevrolet was the vehicle brand to begin using the procedure.

Synergy color to be made available across the lineup

Earlier this year, Chevrolet introduced the Camaro Synergy Special Edition which is based off the concept displayed at the 2009 SEMA show in Las Vegas. The Synergy Special Edition is limited to a 1LT model, but the Synergy Green exterior color will be made available on all trim levels for a limited run during the 2011 model year.

"When we looked at the overwhelmingly positive reaction we received from SEMA attendees and consumers on Synergy Green, making the color available across the board was pretty much a no-brainer," said John Fitzpatrick, Camaro Marketing Manager.

Customers will be able to order this color for a manufacturer suggested retail price of $325.

Head-Up Display

Already available on the Chevrolet Corvette, the 2011 Camaro will become the second Chevrolet vehicle to offer the popular Head-Up Display.

Camaro's Head-Up Display will include:

* Vehicle speed
                          * Tachometer
                          * Compass
                          * Outside air temperature
                          * Manual Paddle Shift Gear Indicator (if equipped)
                          * OnStar Turn-by-Turn
                          * Audio functions
                          * Phone information
                          * Selected gear
                          * Turn signal indicators
                          * High-beam indicator signal
                          * Vehicle messages

"Head-Up Display has been a very frequent customer request" said Cheryl Pilcher, Camaro Product Manager. "People familiar with the HUD system simply love it. It truly enables drivers to keep their eyes on the road."

Production of the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro begins on June 7, 2010."
                          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

and...........

its still...........

a Mustang...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

only girls play with ponys'
                              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X