X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas University turns coal into gas

hmmm.......

http://www.globalpetroleumclub.com/t...oment-coal-gas

Sounds like an awesome plan but is it too good to be true?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Even if it's possible for mainstream use, no way the oil industry let's this fly.

Good find, Joe.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
        Even if it's possible for mainstream use, no way the oil industry let's this fly.
        Not necessarily true.
        From the article, "...they have developed a clean way to turn the cheapest kind of coal - lignite, common in Texas - into synthetic crude..."
        Crude is the starting product and there is still PLENTY of money in refining and selling fuel. Just look at how the oil industry is embracing EtOH and Bio right now.
        If the govt offered a tax break or an RFS credit like they do for EtOH they, (oil companies) would be all over it.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
          Not necessarily true.
          From the article, "...they have developed a clean way to turn the cheapest kind of coal - lignite, common in Texas - into synthetic crude..."
          Crude is the starting product and there is still PLENTY of money in refining and selling fuel. Just look at how the oil industry is embracing EtOH and Bio right now.
          If the govt offered a tax break or an RFS credit like they do for EtOH they, (oil companies) would be all over it.
          Good find and I agree, but if OPEC had their hands in anything to do with this, would gas prices be any cheaper? I can't see it. I think that's where my fears begin and end. OPEC.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I think Germany was doing this back in WW II- they had real problems getting fuel, part of the reason they were into North Africa- It is do-able, but not necessarily cheap. When gas/oil prices get high enough, something like this becomes worthwhile. At this point, probably easier to burn alcohol, E85. Make the existing gas go further- As crude oil prices get higher, it becomes more economically sensible to extract oil out of more difficult areas- for example, the tar sands in Alberta, Ca.
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I wish these were the things I thought about walking to my car!!!

I'm usually thinking about how I can't wait to get home and...
              '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

Working...
              X