NFB: Opinions on Commuter Car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Opinions on Commuter Car?

I've been looking for something cheap with a strong engine such as something from the GM Ecotec line or better yet the almighty Buick 3800 Series for example. I found what looks to me like a good deal on a Saturn SL2:

2002, 74k mi, $3900. From what I've read the Saturn 1.9 is a decent engine, though it's an interference engine, which I've never especially liked in general. Still a good deal?

Auto Trader

Anyone have experience with this car/engine? I suppose it's just as good as any other as long as the timing chain doesn't jump.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Funny you should mention a Saturn. I know a guy who never changed the oil for the 85,000 miles that he drove the car. All he ever did was top it off when needed....... it never failed him. I know him quite well, he was nutty enough to actually do that. I can't speak for all saturns but it's worth keeping in mind as it's a true story.

I have a few clients that swear by them. If you can make it past the rather mundane look, it's definately a reliable consideraion.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Funny you should mention a Saturn. I know a guy who never changed the oil for the 85,000 miles that he drove the car. All he ever did was top it off when needed....... it never failed him. I know him quite well, he was nutty enough to actually do that.
      Haha! Holy cow that is crazy. Ok, I'll know to avoid a Saturn with 85k if I see one for sale. That is impressive though.
      Originally posted by Joe 1320
      If you can make it past the rather mundane look, it's definately a reliable consideraion
      Yes, it appears on most Saturns that the front facia design was inspired by the look of an upright Hoover vacuum.

...hahah! And horsepower requirements for the motor!
      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

You ever consider an early Vibe GT? I've got an 03. The car steadily lost horsepower over it's run. The 03 was rated at 180hp, and had a VVTiL engine designed by Toyota with Yamaha heads. The 04 was virtually unchanged, although the horsepower was reduced for some reason.

The engine is a blast to drive...complete with 8,700 rpm redline. It handles like a champ in the twisties, due to the 17" wheels, and the 6-speed manual tranny makes it entertaining. I regularly get 30 mpg of mixed city/hwy driving, although it's a must to use premium fuel.

Anyway, after owning it for 7 years, I've had to do nothing to it, other than change the oil. You can pick one up very cheap too.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          The engine is a blast to drive...complete with 8,700 rpm redline. It handles like a champ in the twisties, due to the 17" wheels, and the 6-speed manual tranny makes it entertaining. I regularly get 30 mpg of mixed city/hwy driving, although it's a must to use premium fuel.

Anyway, after owning it for 7 years, I've had to do nothing to it, other than change the oil. You can pick one up very cheap too.
          That engine has a redline of a rotory. I will keep the Vibe in mind, thanks.
          Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

saturns are hit or miss, i worked on some with 60 K and it was bout ready to die(using oil, rotted out) and others where they had 225K and just need a set of tires and oil change with no oil leaks! my sister has one, its been ok so far.
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

We sold my wife's old Saturn SL1 with 197K on the clock. It ran like a top when we sold it.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                saturns are hit or miss, i worked on some with 60 K and it was bout ready to die(using oil, rotted out) and others where they had 225K and just need a set of tires and oil change with no oil leaks! my sister has one, its been ok so far.
                Originally posted by Steel2686
                We sold my wife's old Saturn SL1 with 197K on the clock. It ran like a top when we sold it.
                Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, I've been doing some reading and finding what you've described, hit-or-miss. Would it make sense that the older (pre-2000) Saturns are the more reliable ones? That seems to be the trend. Plus even though it's a different model, the L Series has become notorious for timing chain failures - meaning death for interference engines like these. ahhh
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
                  Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, I've been doing some reading and finding what you've described, hit-or-miss. Would it make sense that the older (pre-2000) Saturns are the more reliable ones? That seems to be the trend. Plus even though it's a different model, the L Series has become notorious for timing chain failures - meaning death for interference engines like these. ahhh
                  You're definitely on to something there. I have rarely heard of an unreliable early-model Saturn. They were loud, cheaply made, and way underpowered, but they never failed. I have little to no experience Saturns newer than 2000 other than a 2003 Vue (my mom's car). That's been very good to her so far (87K).
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

Comment

You're definitely on to something there. I have rarely heard of an unreliable early-model Saturn. They were loud, cheaply made, and way underpowered, but they never failed. I have little to no experience Saturns newer than 2000 other than a 2003 Vue (my mom's car). That's been very good to her so far (87K).
                    My buddy has a 03 (i think) ion. While it has been mechanically sound, his wiper arm now flails about when he uses it. It turns out to be a pretty common problem that only the dealer can fix. it requires a speacial tool that's not sold to the public. $300 repair. But it has been very reliable so far with about 120k on the clock.
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                      My buddy has a 03 (i think) ion. While it has been mechanically sound, his wiper arm now flails about when he uses it. It turns out to be a pretty common problem that only the dealer can fix. it requires a speacial tool that's not sold to the public. $300 repair. But it has been very reliable so far with about 120k on the clock.
                      The Ion, yes, I believe run's the GM Ecotec series - these engines are very strong. I've never heard of anything like that wiper arm before, but I'm not surprised.
                      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
                        The Ion, yes, I believe run's the GM Ecotec series - these engines are very strong. I've never heard of anything like that wiper arm before, but I'm not surprised.
                        Yes i think he's got the 2200 ecotec, if memory serves.
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

I know the EXACT issue you're describing! My friend's wife has a Hummer H3 and we had to replace it.

Unfortunately, GM employs that wiper design in many of it's vehicles, including the Trailblazer line, truck line, and most of it's four door cars. It's a plastic joint that eventually wears loose and needs to be replaced. Of course, GM doesn't sell just the replacement piece. They sell the entire arm because they make more money that way (and they wonder why consumers left GM in droves).

Fortunately, however, the tool is available online (eBay, Craigs List, etc). The job isn't terribly tough, but the part is still like $80 - $100 new.
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

Comment

I know the EXACT issue you're describing! My friend's wife has a Hummer H3 and we had to replace it.

Unfortunately, GM employs that wiper design in many of it's vehicles, including the Trailblazer line, truck line, and most of it's four door cars. It's a plastic joint that eventually wears loose and needs to be replaced. Of course, GM doesn't sell just the replacement piece. They sell the entire arm because they make more money that way (and they wonder why consumers left GM in droves).

Fortunately, however, the tool is available online (eBay, Craigs List, etc). The job isn't terribly tough, but the part is still like $80 - $100 new.
                            Do you know what the tool is called? I'm sure my friend will be happy knowing he only has to spend 100 bucks instead of 300.
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Do you know what the tool is called? I'm sure my friend will be happy knowing he only has to spend 100 bucks instead of 300.
                              Not off the top of my head, but I'll be happy to call my friend and ask what it was called.
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X