NFB: Opinions on Commuter Car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steel2686
    Not off the top of my head, but I'll be happy to call my friend and ask what it was called.
    Thanks man, just PM me.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      The 03 was rated at 180hp, and had a VVTiL engine designed by Toyota with Yamaha heads. The 04 was virtually unchanged, although the horsepower was reduced for some reason.
      I think the reduction was due to the new SAE horsepower testing procedures. Many engines "lost" power due to more accurate testing.

The Vibe/Matrix is a cool commuter ride. I've thought about one from time to time. Enough spunk in a little car with good space and decent looks.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I wish GM had continued to develop the GT. For some reason, it was dropped a few years later, and only the base model engine was available.

I had hoped GM would see fit to dropping in the turbo 4 out of the Sky/Solstice, Cobalt SS, etc. The car would have been an instant hit. For some reason, they stuck with the underpowered Toyota motors, and ditched the hi-revving VVTiL motor. A real shame...
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I believe SAE changed the guidlines for rating engine power for 2004 models. That's why you see the HP change with an identical engine. A lot of Toyota and Honda engines were rated lower for 2004 than 2003. Many of GM's engines actually went up.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
          X