Did rear main seal today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did rear main seal today...

I'm an idiot and never replaced the rear main seal, even though I've done 2 clutches since getting my car in 2004.

I never had any reason to because it never leaked, but a leak sprung up about 6 months ago and it's leaking a lot of oil (like over a quart a month). So now that the weathers breaking, I figured I'd get it out of the way before it get's too hot (perfect 65 degree day).

I can't believe this thing never leaked! It was obvious someone had been in there before, as the bolts holding the seal that bolts to the block, weren't even tightened down! One bolt was almost all the way backed out, and the rest were loose. Not only that, but in an effort to fix the leak without replacing the seal, they caked a TON of blue rtv all over the seal and in the housing!

It was the worst hack job I've ever seen, and I've never seen anybody put RTV on a rear main seal (I never have anyway).

It's all squared away and with pneumatics I was able to have it done in just under 5 hours. That's gotta be some kind of a record.

The underbody of my car is CAKED with sludge. I'm gonna have to take this to the power wash tomorrow because you can't do a simple oil change without touching the underbody and getting a thick layer of sludge on your arm.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Worst part of the job is reinstalling the tranny. I spent almost an hour trying to get the housing to line up and sit flush. I even did it on a lift...but what a PITA!

Glad this will most likely be the last clutch/flywheel this car will ever see.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Worst part of the job is reinstalling the tranny. I spent almost an hour trying to get the housing to line up and sit flush. I even did it on a lift...but what a PITA!

Glad this will most likely be the last clutch/flywheel this car will ever see.
      Did you do the tranny and bell housing as a unit, or separate?
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

We did it as a unit. Was afraid it would be difficult getting to the bolts if we separated. Not a lot of room for big hands to maneuver.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Always Separate. So much Easier.

Good job Raro. Think I need to Change my Rear Main too. But my LS7 Clutch is still kicking after 3+ years of abuse!
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Kudos..... that job is a biotch.

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              We did it as a unit. Was afraid it would be difficult getting to the bolts if we separated. Not a lot of room for big hands to maneuver.
              When you do it separate you just put the bolts in the socket with a swivel and it's a piece of cake.

Now I gotta fix a valve cover leak...

Comment

Stupid question: I seem to have a slow leak and every time I do the oil I notice oil is all around the area of the bottom of the bell housing/front of the transmission. Is this likely a RMS leak?
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
                2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
                  Stupid question: I seem to have a slow leak and every time I do the oil I notice oil is all around the area of the bottom of the bell housing/front of the transmission. Is this likely a RMS leak?
                  Possible. If there is no leak coming from the following:

Rear of intake
                  Valve covers (rear of covers)

Then it's probably the RMS. Make sure there is no other leaks anywhere else first before you dig into the RMS.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    Possible. If there is no leak coming from the following:

Rear of intake
                    Valve covers (rear of covers)

Then it's probably the RMS. Make sure there is no other leaks anywhere else first before you dig into the RMS.
                    Thanks for your insight, Raro and thumbs up for your conquering the rear main seal job.
                    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
                    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                    X