C-5M Super Galaxy vid and fun facts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-5M Super Galaxy vid and fun facts

Not as exciting as the fly by video, but I work on this bad boy and thought it was cool. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27xfkkNSRE

Fun Facts

* The interior and exterior paint on the C-5 weighs 2600 pounds.
    * The distance of the first flight by the Wright brothers was less than the length of the C-5 cargo floor.
    * The cargo compartment of the C-5 will hold 100 model 113 (Beetle) Volkswagens, 106 Vegas, 90 Ramblers, 58 Cadillacs, or 6 standard Greyhound buses.
    * More than 100 miles of wiring are required to functionally operate all C-5 aircraft systems.
    * The C-5 carries enough fuel for the average American car to make 130 round trips between New York and Los Angeles, or 31 trips around the world.
    * Each C-5 engine gulps approximately 42 tons of air per minute.
    * The cargo compartment of the C-5 is large enough to hold an eight-lane bowling alley.
    * The total engine power of a C-5 equals that produced by 800 average cars.
    * Each C-5 tire wears down approximately 0.002 inches per landing.
    * Each C-5 wheel brake wears down approximately 0.0005 inches per landing.
    * The C-5 contains over five miles of control cables.
    * The C-5 can carry 25,844,746 ping pong balls.
    * The C-5 can carry 328,301,674 aspirin tablets.
    * The C-5 can carry 3,222,857 tortillas.
    * Each wing of the C-5 weighs over 40,000, which is equivalent to the weight of a C-130, minus engines.
    * Each C-5 contains over four miles of tubing.
    * The C-5 can haul 3,934 bushels of wheat.
    * The C-5 cargo area is able to carry more automobiles than 13 transport trucks, or two "car-carrying" freight cars.
    * Each C-5 engine nacelle is 1 ½ times the length of a Cadillac, large enough to garage a Mustang.
    * Fuel capacity of the C-5, 49,000 gallons, would empty 6 ½ rail tank cars.
    * Also, its fuel capacity is equal to the volume of an average five-room house.
    * The C-5 can carry 76,216 fifths of California wine, or 277,263 cans (12 oz.) of your favorite beverage.
    * Tire on the C-5, (24 on the MLG, 4 on the NLG), weigh 4214 pounds. They hold 181 pounds of air when inflated to the prescribed pressure.
    * A full C-5 load of first class mail, (at one ounce per letter/37 cents per letter) would require $1,391,200 in postage.
    * The environmental control systems of the C-5 has a total cooling capacity of 24 tons; enough to air condition eight average sized homes.
    * Fuel weight of the C-5 is about equal to the maximum gross weight of the C-141A model.
    * If all the exposed surfaces of the C-5, which is computed to be 33,526.6 square feet, were covered in ice of uniform 1/16" thickness, it would weigh 9,778.6 pounds.
    * Christopher Columbus' entire three ship crew of 90 could have ridden comfortably in the upper deck of the C-5, leaving the whole cargo compartment for horses, chickens, goats, and trinkets for the Indians.
    * Theoretically, the C-5 can hold 2,419,558 golf balls, provided they are not in containers or otherwise restrained.
    * There are approximately 1,658,800 fasteners in the C-5 aircraft. They are located as follows: wings-411,900; fuselage-1,182,000; empennage-64,900.
    Credit for fun facts goes to: http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c5_fun.asp
    These facts are for the C-5B...theoretically the C-5M should be able to haul more weight given it has more powerful engines.

Also, for those of you who know the C-130 it can fit inside a c5 provided the wings are removed.

It is also referred to as the box that the C-141 came in.

Nick name: FRED any guesses what it stands for? LOL
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I know...I know!!!

Was and has always been one of my favorite planes.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Always wondered...what's the significance of the length, shape, color of the nose cone and "probe"?
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Always wondered...what's the significance of the length, shape, color of the nose cone and "probe"?
        The orange one is just for tests. I'm not sure what exactly it did, but it isn't on the operational model. Its normally just gray and not pointed at all.
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

that is still a impressive plane, every now and then they flow over my house and i can my house shake
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
            that is still a impressive plane, every now and then they flow over my house and i can my house shake
            haha, that must be the A or B model. The M model is 6 times as quiet, lol.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

I always love driving by Dover AFB and seeing them take off and circle above.

Awesome planes and it always amazes me something that large can even get off the ground. It's the equivalent to the amazement that a 100,000 ton cruise ship can float.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                haha, that must be the A or B model. The M model is 6 times as quiet, lol.
                The A version would occationally fly over the house in Charleston, man what a racket..... the whole house would vibrate when those things flew over at low altitude.

Comment

I saw one take off from the National Guard base near here a couple weeks ago- a base that is the operational home for a C-130 squadron. I couldn't believe how quickly that C-5 lifted off and gained altitude. Pretty sure it must have been empty, it was really moving quickly, especially for something that size-
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                    I saw one take off from the National Guard base near here a couple weeks ago- a base that is the operational home for a C-130 squadron. I couldn't believe how quickly that C-5 lifted off and gained altitude. Pretty sure it must have been empty, it was really moving quickly, especially for something that size-
                    Even the heavy pilots want to be fighter jocks...
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                    X