Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Restoration...a little better...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Restoration...a little better...

I finally got tired of looking at my yellow, hazy headlight lenses. So after seeing an ad for Mother's restoration kit, and reading some positive reviews, I picked one up. It comes with the little "power ball" sponge applicator that you put into a drill for applying the polish. That is for mildly oxidized lenses. So for extremely pitted and cloudy ones like mine, it comes with 2 wet sanding sponge pads with 4 decreasing grit papers attached. I followed the directions and wet sanded the lenses going through the different pads. It leaves a smooth, white finish on the lense which is then polished with the power ball. It did a pretty good job, with the exception of a small area on the bottom that I couldn't quite get clean. The pics below show the results.

Before:

After:

And the depressing shot from a few years ago when the car was newer:

They don't look brand new by any means, but they look a lot better han they did, and the lights are actually able to project farther now without the oxidation getting in the way. Anyway, just thought I would share.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Looks good.
    That haze that seems to accumulate is actually the UV coating that is breaking down. We are constantly wet-sanding and polishing headlamps at work.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
      Looks good.
      That haze that seems to accumulate is actually the UV coating that is breaking down. We are constantly wet-sanding and polishing headlamps at work.
      I did that to my Stratus because it wouldn't pass PA inspection. Worked Great. I used mothers plastic polish after I wet sanded.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Nice work! Meguire's also makes a very nice product called Plast-X, which can also be applied with a buffer. Firebird sealed beams - gotta love them. I just replaced mine and the difference is amazing... except the wire going to the socket as fatigued over the years and is severed at the socket. Having way harder time finding a replacement than I ever would've expected.

Good job with the Mother's
        Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
        2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Thanks, Guys!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
          X