As I've griped about before, drivers are clueless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I've griped about before, drivers are clueless

interesting reading, polls show driver's are clueless about how to react....

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...3211&GT1=33004

I used to love driving, in fact I still do. I'm getting to the point that I hate dealing with other drivers. They are so self absorbed that they are a menace to all around them.

i took that lil quiz within the artitcle and got a 90, so much for 100% i got when i took my Class D test and my Class B test
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I've never been in an accident or even close to one...(except the snow related one which was out of my control)...but I scored a 70. I consider myself a very alert driver.

For that reason I do not like this quiz. It's not like I'm ticked at my score or anything, but there's a difference between having the cognitive knowledge and being able to physically doing it when in a pinch.

The smartest people can pass any test, but often don't have any common sense to apply it.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        I used to love driving, in fact I still do. I'm getting to the point that I hate dealing with other drivers. They are so self absorbed that they are a menace to all around them.
        Many times I feel I know how the other drivers are going to behave just by seeing what model car they drive or what bumper stickers they have. That way I know what to expect.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Red light cameras; SPRINGFIELD, OHIO

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=70368898001
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

WOW!

And that's like, three intersections with all of that recklessness going on.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

Holy crap! Most of those aren't even close. And what the hell is that maneuver at 1:07? Is it just me or wouldn't the left turn have been legal?
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Hmmm...I noticed some of the answers are different from when I went to driving school. Here's two I missed:

When you're being passed on the left, the test said to slow down. I was taught that you're supposed to keep a steady speed, although I'd slow down if needed.

Also, I was taught that it's ok to enter an intersection when the light is green while wait'ing to turn left. It's common practice in MD. I didn't see people do this in NJ, but there they did cut left across traffic as soon as the light turned green oddly enough.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Same here, I don't ever recall anyone saying the rule is to slow down when other drivers are passing. Steady pace is what I've always been taught. Unless of course you are in a two lane highway where the other car is in the opposite traffic lane...then I'd say it's reasonable to slow down.

I also question:
                  On a road with two or more lanes heading in the same direction, you should:
                  Your answer: Drive in any lane.
                  Right answer: Stay in the right lane except to pass.

I agree on a 2 lane (each way) highway, stay on the right, pass on the left. But when there's 3+ lanes, are we to really weave in and out of all the semis going 55 in the right lane? I guess they got me when they stated "should" rather than "must". It does piss me off though to see drivers just sitting in the left lanes without passing.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Drive right, pass left- it is the law, even if it is never enforced in this country

In countries where they have real high-speed traffic, think Autobahn, you will get a ticket if you just cruise along in the left lane while not passing anyone- Besides, if you are driving in the middle lane, you now have two blind spots, one on each side where you might have unseen traffic pacing you.
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

The answer states "Stay in the right lane except to pass" which is not the CA law except if you are towing a trailer, or "any
                      vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction". The law says to keep on the right half of the freeway except when passing, which is why the question/answer is not completely correct. Well I guess it's not technically incorrect, because they use the word "should" and not "must".

Of course, the law differs from state to state, but I'm going by my local state laws.
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                        Also, I was taught that it's ok to enter an intersection when the light is green while wait'ing to turn left. It's common practice in MD. I didn't see people do this in NJ, but there they did cut left across traffic as soon as the light turned green oddly enough.
                        In CT the law is you cant enter a intersection unless its clear, yet you can lead a light(enter a intersection to make a turn even if its not clear, and if the light turns red you can still make the turn) CT is backwards
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

What is confusing for us here in West Michigan is the difference when you have a flashing yellow arrow for left turns or a flashing red (non-arrow) for left turns.

A flashing yellow, as I understand means slow down but no stop required, unless opposing traffic present. A flashing red means come to a complete stop and turn when no opposing traffic.

Yup, there are a lot of amateur drivers out there. Some have been driving for 20 years.
                          1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                          2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                          1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I took the test and scored an 80. The ones I missed were either trick questions (meaning I was not sharp enough in reading the question) or the answer is different than I was taught.

Dave
                            2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Working...
                            X