My Corvette got attacked by a gravel truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Corvette got attacked by a gravel truck

On my way to work this past Monday, in the fast lane doing 65.

I hear a couple rocks hit the car. Then a couple more, then suddenly I'm in a crapstorm of dirt clods and rocks. In the middle lane ahead of me is a dumptruck that is losing his load onto the highway in a major way. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life. I panicked, hit the left shoulder, dropped it into 3rd and got the hell out of there. Once I was in front of the truck I motioned for him to get off the highway, but he ignored me. I wasn't about to get back behind him to get his plate number.

As soon as I got to work I called the police and reported it with hopes that someone else also reported it and included the license plate number. Nobody had.

Then I called the insurance company. They sent out a claims adjuster who estimated the damages at over $3500. It's going to get a new windshield and a repaint from the windshield forward plus the mirrors. I'm also going to pay out of pocket to get the rocker panels repainted. Once I get her back home she's getting a complete 3M invisible bra on the nose, rockers, mirrors and behind all 4 wheels.

Bad way to start a week, but I have to admit the American Family Insurance claims adjuster has really bent over backwards to make sure I'm happy. He even liked my choice of repair facilities and knew the painter at the place by name. It's the same place that painted the hood and spoiler on my Camaro. They are actually not a dedicated bodyshop, they are a Porsche / Ferrari race team and they have a bodyshop that does amazing work.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

I feel your pain, brother. Same thing happened to my ZR-1 years back. The jerk wouldn't stop, but I managed to get all his information off the truck. In the end, the trucking compainy's insurace had to take car of the damages and the car was repainted. Hope the shop does a good job for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      On my way to work this past Monday, in the fast lane doing 65.

I hear a couple rocks hit the car. Then a couple more, then suddenly I'm in a crapstorm of dirt clods and rocks. In the middle lane ahead of me is a dumptruck that is losing his load onto the highway in a major way. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life. I panicked, hit the left shoulder, dropped it into 3rd and got the hell out of there. Once I was in front of the truck I motioned for him to get off the highway, but he ignored me. I wasn't about to get back behind him to get his plate number.

As soon as I got to work I called the police and reported it with hopes that someone else also reported it and included the license plate number. Nobody had.

Then I called the insurance company. They sent out a claims adjuster who estimated the damages at over $3500. It's going to get a new windshield and a repaint from the windshield forward plus the mirrors. I'm also going to pay out of pocket to get the rocker panels repainted. Once I get her back home she's getting a complete 3M invisible bra on the nose, rockers, mirrors and behind all 4 wheels.

Bad way to start a week, but I have to admit the American Family Insurance claims adjuster has really bent over backwards to make sure I'm happy. He even liked my choice of repair facilities and knew the painter at the place by name. It's the same place that painted the hood and spoiler on my Camaro. They are actually not a dedicated bodyshop, they are a Porsche / Ferrari race team and they have a bodyshop that does amazing work.
      Hate to hear this happen but really glad to hear how well AmFam is taking care of you.
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Well all I can say is sell Vette, get a gravel truck and hit the road cowboy and spatter them good. It's the American way.

Comment

I wont get near dump trucks or any trucks for that reason, hell, I'll slow down in the right lane just to distance myself if I see something weird going on... it sucks.. DOT needs to do more on controlling this kind of thing, both federal and state level.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The amfam adjuster called the shop I chose today and had them call me to setup a drop off date.

August 30th. He says he'll have it done in a week and a half.

I'm really excited to see it done.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

tracez- i kno its a little late now but if you grab the DOT numbers off the truck, its just as good as a plate, if its a larger company, grab the truck number, both must be plainly visible.

Ken - DOT can only do so much, i kno here in ct they try but most guys will wait till after a inspector leaves and take the red tag off the truck, i seen it happen at exit 2 in danbury when i was dumping a trash can, dump truck got red tagged for bad tires/brakes, when i got done dumping the can, the inspector had left and, he took off
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It's good the hear that your insurance is taking care of you.

I used to work at Picatinny Arsenal in Jersey. It's right next to a gravel pit. I was always avoiding gravel trucks on the highway. I feel your pain.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I had one chip from a dump truck on my T/A. I was 7 cars back and a small stone bounced just right and caught the lower lip of my front bumper.

Luckily my brother touched it up to the point I couldn't even remember the exact spot anymore.

Good luck, Trace... I'm sure it will come out awesome.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

pictures of the car apart for paint.... They planned to painted it yesterday. I'll check Monday to see how it's coming along.

Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                    X