Brake Rotor Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Rotor Question

I posted this on the GP forum, but I'll present it to the brilliant minds here as well.
    I purchased a set of drilled and slotted rotors for my GP and have a question about installing them.
    Which direction should the slots be going?
    Does it even matter?

In other words, which image is correct:

Image 1:

Or

Image 2:
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

towards front, rotors arent marked?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I think there is only one way they will go on the car, The center is dished out on most. So they can only go on one way.

Comment

I installed mine as you have shown in the top picture. Someone later said that was wrong. They have been that way for years without a problem. They brake better than stock. I personally think it does not matter.
        96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

They should be installed as in pic #1. The reason is so that the slots evacuate dust, debris, water and sweep it outward rather than channeling it toward the hub.

Comment

Blazer
            I think you misunderstood, with the dish going the correct way, one rotor looks like pic 1 and the other like pic 2. Question is which side of the car does each one go on?

TrashMan
            No, they are not marked at all. In fact, both boxes have the same part number on them. Other than the direction of the slots I see no difference.

However,
            I got an email back from Rotorwork.

"...the rotors are universal you can install them anyway you like depending on the style that you like..."

Joe,
            As usual your explanation makes perfect sense.

That is the way I have them installed on the Camaro but began to question that. I guess the Camaro set was marked and I just don't remember it.

Thanks.
            My DD
            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

If they are the same part number, isn't one backwards?
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
                If they are the same part number, isn't one backwards?
                They are sold in pairs, each one being a mirror image of the other. I just installed a set on a friends car and oriented them so that the material gets swept outward as in pic #1.

Comment

Working...
                X