Put my dog down today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put my dog down today.

He was 14 years old. He had gone deaf over the last few months, could not run, could barely walk, and could not stand without collapsing. He still had a little life left in him but I didn't want him to get to the point where he couldn't control his bodily functions or struggle to eat.

The last 6 months he has only been able to lie down, and had just enough energy to get up to eat. Many times he would use the bathroom in the house because getting outside was too much work.

It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to put him down.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

14 years is a good long time man. You gave him a good life.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

been there quite a few time my friend... i know your hurt. you served em well, as he did you.. thats what counts.. savor the good memories.. you never forget, you just learn to live with it..... im sorry.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Sorry brother..... been there. think of the good times and have comfort that you didn't let him suffer.

Comment

Sorry man - Been there also. It is extremely difficult to do those things even when you know it is the right thing. Cherish all the memories!
          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Thanks guys. He was an amazing dog, and I'm sure I'll never have another dog that's anything like him. He was totally unique.

I felt guilty the last few days, as if I put him down too soon, but I've come to realize that the only way I wouldn't feel that way is if I were to have let him die on his own, which would have been long and painful for him.

He would have had a difficult time in the winter here in Michigan and that's one of the reasons I put him down when I did.

Thanks again guys.

This guy helps make me feel better:

97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Sorry for your loss man. But, there's no reason to feel guilty. You took care of his every need, right? You didn't mistreat him, right? You did everything you could for him, right? And you did what you had to do to make sure he wasn't suffering any more, right? Then there's nothing to feel guilty for. Cheer up man, he's no longer in pain and doesn't have a worry in the world...right?
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                been there quite a few time my friend... i know your hurt. you served em well, as he did you.. thats what counts.. savor the good memories.. you never forget, you just learn to live with it..... im sorry.
                Take it from this man. He's been through a lot and not just with animals. I don't know how he does it, but he finds a way.

Sorry about your loss. I too have been there.
                Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28

I felt guilty the last few days, as if I put him down too soon, but I've come to realize that the only way I wouldn't feel that way is if I were to have let him die on his own, which would have been long and painful for him.
                  If getting up to eat was a painful task, there's no question that you made the right choice. Don't feel guilty.
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                  X