typhoon #0352 is dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• typhoon #0352 is dead

Well, this happened the other day and didnt want to say anything yet till the insurance thing was done. I had kids with me and had just taken the Ty for a ride and got done and parked it. I got in my pickup and went over to my mothers house. I get a call from my wife an hour later telling me my truck was on fire. I said What! Your kidding. I didnt believe her and as Im thinking this to myself my pager is going off in my truck saying "Dover engine 2 responding to car fire at halpern eye care".................... I said GTFO....No freakin way. So I still think shes playn with me so I start to head to dover and She said " you still dont believe me?" No... Well my buddy the Fire Marshall gets on the phone and says in a laughing voice " yeah buddy, shes done..." So as im drivin I start to get all these calls from the other firefighters telling me the same thing. well i pull up and the truth hit me............its done. From the dash forward was pretty much toast..

yeah, i was pretty messed up about it. It really really sucks. I had so many plans and ideas for her. I started savin up for a forged internals/head and cam and a nice paint job ect. I know she wasnt the cleanest or the fastest but she was mine and i put alot of sweat and frustrations into that truck. anyway heres some pics.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

How in the hell did that happen?

Sucks bro, those things are so hard to come by, that's tragic!
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

My 1st F-Body was a '79 Formula Firebird. Got it used in HS and drove it all through college and then some.
      When I was in college, I got back to my dorm one afternoon and there's a note on my door to see the dorm manager. I go downstairs and she asks me...

"Have you been out to see your car yet?"

No...

"You better go take a look."

So as I'm walking outside I'm thinking ok, somebody hit it, no problem I have insurance.

I walk up on the car and notice glass around the driver's door, as I get closer I smell burnt plastic and see nothing but black on the inside of the windshield.
      At some point during the day, something shorted out in the dash and the interior of my car caught on fire. The FD had broken out the window douse the fire. I think it was the headlamp switch since that's where most of the damage was. It was bad. I could put my whole arm through the hole left where the headlamp and wiper switches used to be. The driver's seat was burned as was the headliner. The dash, instrument cluster, door panel, pillar cover and t-top bezel were all melted and it even got so hot that the windshield bubbled and cracked. Fortunately, there was no exterior body damage.

Needless to say I was devastated.
      As a broke a$$ college student now with no car....

However, my story ends well. Over the entire next semester and a half I bummed rides to junkyards and scoured them for parts, sometimes begging for pieces I could not afford. My Mom couldn't buy me a new car but she did supplement a good portion or the resurrection (Thanks Mom, I love ya). I stared at the wiring diagrams in the back of the Haynes manual till I was almost insane and learned more about the inner workings of that car than I ever dreamed possible. All of this, done with the car parked in the exact same spot in front of the dorm where it burned. When all was said and done, I had gutted the interior and replaced everything on and in the dash, wiring included, from the fuse block back piecing together 4 different wiring harnesses from different year cars. I eventually found all the plastics and got them painted to match as well. Never replaced the headliner, but did replace carper and seats. I drove that car for another 6-7 years and wish I hadn't had to sell it years ago.

In short, I TRULY feel your pain.

My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

That is terrible. look on the bright side, it could have been parked in the garage when it went up.

Comment

that sucks man, only vehicle fire i was in was in a trash truck, someone had thrown the fireplace ashes in a dumpster and next thing i knew i had 100 yards of trash on fire.

i wouldnt say its dead, if you got some time and spare change, id strip it down and rebuild it the way you woulda ordered it.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Sorry to hear man. As Joe mentioned, better outside than in the garage.

Looking at the parking job maybe somebody got p'oed and set fire to your car.:-(
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

Looking at the parking job maybe somebody got p'oed and set fire to your car.:-(
              I thought the same thing- It was a nice, rare collectible. I suppose you could restore it to factory, maintain the value- or mod it and make a real beast. How about a nice aluminum LSX engine, mildly modded to say, 500 HP like a Z06 or something. With the AWD chassis should be fun.
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Oh that just hurts to look at.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more it looks like a moderately easy fix. Replace the sheet metal, don't try to refinish and repaint. Paint will usually lift from previously burned metal. Some fenders and hood, header panel and windshield, plus whatever ruined bolt on parts and she'll be back in form.

Comment

Dude that blows, best of luck. Any idea what caused it?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

Na, my wife was driving it to her eye dr's and when she pulled into parking lot she saw the smoke coming from the steering wheel and just parked it and got out as fast as she could. with the way things are right now I just dont have the time to build it up. Although I toyed with the thought of a ls7 or a forged lsx but with me trying to focus on a new career it will just be to tough.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

damn..thats terrible!!!!!!!! sorry man!!!!!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          The more I think about it, the more it looks like a moderately easy fix. Replace the sheet metal, don't try to refinish and repaint. Paint will usually lift from previously burned metal. Some fenders and hood, header panel and windshield, plus whatever ruined bolt on parts and she'll be back in form.

I agree. I'd take whatever the insurance gives you for it and buy it back with some of the money. Strip off the destroyed pieces and start replacing them with good parts from salvage yards.

It would be a real tragedy to send it off to be stripped and crushed.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Well, I couldnt live with myself if it got scrapped. A buddy of mine that already has a built syclone decided to buy it from me and fix it back up over time so................she will be reserected!

current

Comment

Maybe

I showed this thread to my wife - The first thing she noticed...Maybe someone torched the car because your wife parked like a jackass taking up two stalls right in front of the door??

I was too busy looking at the damage to the truck to even notice how it was parked.

I realize your wife parked quickly and got out because it was on fire, I just thought my wife's comment was amusing and thought I'd share.

Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:
                              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                              X