Please help - need expert HVAC (home) advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help - need expert HVAC (home) advice

I'm in the process of upgrading my A/C and Furnace, to take advantage of the State and Federal rebates that are on the books until the end of the year.

Anyway, NJ's rebate requires proof the installer did a Manual J and S load calculation. All of the installers I've talked to give me the same BS story, "oh, I don't do that" or "that's old school" or simply "a manual what???"

This really aggravates me as I educated myself as to what this is. These installers are simply lazy and because NJ does not have an official HVAC license requirement, they have been getting away with not learning how to do this. Now, the consumer is getting stuck.

Does anyone on hear know how to do this? I've seen a $49 program available to residential users, but I'm sure the learning curve will be steep. I'd love to find a "real" HVAC guy who could do this for me.

Anybody on here?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

My brother said he could do it for you, he's a HVAC engineer. He'd need some info including a floor plan (preferebly in a cad file), wall materials, window values, and the direction the house faces.
    Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Unfortunately, a CAD plan is not possible. I could draw up a pretty good diagram, and make a PDF or JPG out of it?

Send me his info. by private message. How much does he charge? Will this be for the Manual J and S?

I'm pretty new at all of this. I can't believe how frustrating it is trying to get an installer who is willing to do this. It's like they'd rather stay in the dark then take a few courses to benefit the customer. Unreal...
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I hear ya. He says it takes quite a bit of time, so that's probably why installers won't do it, but it's the only true way to make sure you get the right size unit. Anyway, my brother says he can work with a good drawing, so that's ok. As far as price goes, he said his firm normally charges $105/hr, but he won't ask for anything close to that amount. He would rather discuss that once he gets more info from you. I'll PM you his work email right now.
        Dave

Comment

And you guy talk about the Hill Billy's down here. LOL

Comment

Great...thanks. I'm exploring one more option, to see if I can find an installer who will do this. If it doesn't pan out, I'll contact him.

Personally, as a professional Industrial Safety Engineer, I find it insulating that these HVAC cowboys refuse to do something that is truly basic. When I, as the consumer, know more about load calculations than the "so-called" professional, who is charging me $7,000, that's truly an insult to their profession. NJ needs to demand that these guys get licensed in HVAC installations, and stop allowing them to get basic home remodeling licenses.

Funny thing, I said ACCA and ASHRAE to my guy, and he had no clue what I was talking about. What a joke! The average consumer is being raped by these guys and they don't even know it.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Never mind folks - found a great guy to deal with. He not only performed all of the load calculations, but he gave me a great deal on a unit.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Glad to hear it!
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X