Sometimes ya just need to relearn a lesson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes ya just need to relearn a lesson

We take shortcuts, sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don't. In my case, I took a shortcut on this latest project. Put a motor together, it started and ran. Installed the accessories and installed the cradle the rest of the way, hooked up the headers and there is a leak. Can't pin down the leak. I hear it, but the header gaskets aren't the culprit.

DOH! ..... one head has a hairline crack. I took shortcuts and assumed the head was good. Now it all has to come out, there's no room to get things apart without the motor coming out. I know better, but still tempted fate. My own stupidity was in full bloom. This build has been a project from hell. After a year of planning, the last 6 months should have gone smooth. It's been the farthest thing from that. I suppose the end result will be worth it, but getting there has been a biotch.

At least here's a pic with it mostly together. The cradle has to come out yet again (4th time now) and the motor has to come apart. This project has been something I've wanted for 25 years, I could almost taste the completion. Lesson relearned...... shortcuts can bite you in the arse. Once the heads are redone, I can finish the rest of the exhaust and finish off the interior which is about 90% done. Then it's cruise time.

awwww, man, pressure checking is like $20 Joe!

We've all been there though. I've done that before myself, same thing. Put on an aluminum head without having it milled or even pressure checked. It was stupid, but this was actually a daily driver that I needed for work. Pulled it from the junkyard and put it on the car the same day.

Lucky for me, the head worked fine and the engine had great compression.

Sorry you weren't as lucky!
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Don't feel too bad. I rebuilt a 327, complete, installed it in the vehicle and it would not start. Then found out the block had a hairline crack and was no good. Mechanic told me that was the first thing I should have checked.

Relax, take a deep breath and keep trying. You definitely want to finish this project and get it right.

Comment

I hear ya. I'm just kicking myself for being stupid. I gambled and lost. My own fault. I guess the bright side is better to find out now then find out on a road trip. While the head is out being redone, I'll have some time to work on the cooling system and the interior. Speaking of interior, here is the latest shot. I still need to do some work on the back firewall and the headliner. Parts of this were done on the cheap. The gauges were used off of ebay, the dash shell came off a donor car that was fire damaged. Seats though weren't cheap. They were fiero frames redone in replica lambo leather.

Comment

We've all done those things Joe, so don't worry about it. Just fix it and put it behind you... Looks like a fun project... I'm sure it will be a blast when it's done...
          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

dern man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you know thats my dream car of all time!!!!!!!? even today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I remember in the last thread you mentioned that car not having a "go" motor in it.

This is a sign. It wants LS1.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Cool car Joe!

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Cannonball run baby.
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

awesome man! I so want one of those since I was 7! now you can LIVE cannonball run . good luck on the reparirs. I found out the hard way don't run the car immediately after detailing the engine and with headers wet.. my coating on one tube exploded off from steam
                    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                    pics and info

Comment

Sorry about that. It happens to everyone. Once it's fixed though, you won't care one way or another; you'll just have the car, a very cool car that is. Hang in there.
                      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
                      2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                        Cannonball run baby.
                        one of my all time favorite car flicks.

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                        awesome man! I so want one of those since I was 7! now you can LIVE cannonball run . good luck on the reparirs. I found out the hard way don't run the car immediately after detailing the engine and with headers wet.. my coating on one tube exploded off from steam
                        Wow. never saw that before. Bust have been a crack that allowd water to get between the coating and the metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                          Cannonball run baby.
                          Thanks Norm. Ever since you mentioned it, I have that damned theme song running though my head. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X