Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new corvette engine going more exotic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new corvette engine going more exotic?

looks like the Corvette pushrod v8 is heading out the door and being replaced by smaller displacement and a more exotic overhead cam and turbo approach. They hint at near 10,000 rpm revs.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

"GM has approved the use of a very European-style V-8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-generation Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project."

I would think an engine like that is a lot more costly to produce than the current LS motors. I am guessing they are getting significant MPG gains out of it as well or otherwise they wouldn't be making it.
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Based on this statement,

"The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it."

This car sounds like something I could care less about!!!
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!!

And what is with this ricer math using HP per liter?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Sounds like the Vette is moving even more out of reach...

I don't know how I feel about the direction they're headed to.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu
            Amen to that !!
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu

There might be........

Turbos can do some wicked things. Who would have thought that 231 cubic inches would put such a smack down on high performance cars. Not just the HP either, the torque can be monsterous.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                There might be........

Turbos can do some wicked things. Who would have thought that 231 cubic inches would put such a smack down on high performance cars. Not just the HP either, the torque can be monsterous.

I understand where you are coming from. If I had a choice, I would prefer a turbo'd V8...preferably a big block. I'd bet they could make a BB spin to 10k.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

I read that article earlier, it says that they will be releasing an OHV big block for the traditionalists like us.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

we just gotta wait and see..........like always.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

We'll see. High revs cost money and are hard on reliability. They want to build that they can take some lessons from the big 4 motorcycle manufacturers who know how to make those engines last. Actuallly I think it would be cool, but torque is king on the road and horsepower is for bragging rights and is a lot harder to use. Maybe a small engine-twin turbo combination, I'm not sure what else would work for a Vette. I'l stick with my 427 small block that gets 26 mpg thank you very much although a mid-engine Vette would be cool as hell.

Comment

With the small displacement, they may be having an eye toward fuel economy. With that small of a V8 and dropping cylinders at cruise, mileage would likely be surprising if the car wasn't overweight.

Comment

Working...
                        X