Need education on 1964 Austin Healey Sprite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need education on 1964 Austin Healey Sprite

One is for sale locally and my wife is in love. It's red and has undergone some recent restorative work. Looks like a solid car in the pictures. Asking $4500

I'd like to go check it out this weekend and maybe buy it.

Other than the obvious rust and mechanical / electrical problems what should I be on the lookout for with a car like this?

Are parts expensive?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Car was built by British Leyland, sort of like GM of England- the parent company of Rover, Triumph, MG and Austin. Mechanically very similar to the MGB of the same era, with a 1.8 L OHV engine, probably a couple side-draft SU carburetors, maybe an oil cooler- rack and pinion steering, disc front brakes. A very direct, honest car, not super reliable, but lots of cachet. Smith gauges, Lucas electrics. Joseph Lucas in reviled as the prince of darkness. Electric fuel pump, fun car to drive. Price sounds fair if in good shape, lots of aftermarket parts available, clubs and enthusiasts. If you are looking for a daily driver, you may want something more reliable, but, as a hobby car, they are great.
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

After replying, I went to Wiki, which reminded me that British Leyland became BMC- British Motorcar Corp- and that the Austin Sprite was a mechanical clone of the MG Midget, not the MGB- but it was good reading up on the old Triumphs, Minis and so on of my mis-spent youth. Most of what I wrote was accurate, though-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
        the Austin Sprite was a mechanical clone of the MG Midget, -
        I got stuck in one of those once. Literally. The owner put in an oversized steering wheel and once I was in, I couldn't get out. It took a couple people pulling me out the top and some contortions to get free. LOL.

Comment

Working...
        X