Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fuel tank for the Jeep...metallurgy question

Hey guys. I'm back, so be afraid. lol :P

So, I'm finally getting to work on my Jeep. First up is a new fuel tank. Between 2 different companies, I've got 4 different choices for material, each with a different cost.

Aluminized Steel - $650 shipped plus cost of fuel pump (in-tank TBI GM fuel pump)
    Mild Steel - $925 with pump plus shipping
    Aluminum - $1025 with pump plus shipping
    Stainless Steel - $1275 with pump plus shipping

The goal for this whole project is to make it run properly and be reliable for my mom. I want to hand my mom the keys and not have to worry about it breaking down on her. So, if the stainless steel option is the best way to go, so be it. She lives in Idaho, so there's snow every year. Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

no-one makes a plastic tank? if not, got with a factory style replacement and have it powered coated or load it up on roll-on bed liner.
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Even stainless steel is going to have strapping, fasteners, etc. Not the lifetime solution, but the tank itself shouldn't rust out for a long time.

Are you expecting your mom to keep this jeep for the next 20 years, or something? Why not replace the stock tank, which should last for maybe 10 years, probably outlive the rest of the vehicle? Maybe buy the mild steel one, and put a couple coats of Rustoleum on it before hanging it. My $0.02
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I forgot to include some important details in this decision making, so let me put them here. I'm running fuel injection on my Jeep, so I need a tank that's internally baffled and supports an in-tank pump. I can get a stock replacement tank for a reasonable price, but it does not support these 2 things.

Willy, any reason you'd say the mild steel tank over the aluminized steel tank?
        Steve

Comment

Aluminized steel.

For extra protection, paint the exterior with either Rustoleum or use the saved cash and use Por products for the ultimate protection. It will last longer than the vehicle.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

id rather run a external fuel pump, just incase it dies with a full tank of fuel
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanks Al. Looks like Aluminized Steel it is.
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X