1979 Camaro Found!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Camaro Found!

Hey guys, ive been a lurker here for some time now, but haveonly recently registered. I have owned 6 Camaros/Firebirds over the years, all late model.

I found a man who has a 1979 Camaro for sale. It of course needs work, he claims the engine, and tranny were good when he hung it up.... 7 years ago. its got a 400ci small block and a 400 auto transmission, and a quadra jet carb. I did see its going to at bare minimum need an alternator and a complete carb rebuild.
    One of the bolts that secure the starter is also stripped out of the block.
    It needs minor trim work, it has original interior, in decent condition. Overall it looks great. It will need to be repainted.
    So, assuming I may perhaps need to rebuild the engine, and of course fix the starter bolt hole, assuming the tranny is good, very minor cosmetic damage, an overall good cleaning, and a GOOD paint job. New front grill and yellow marker lights. Can anyone give me just a ROUGH cost of restoration? I realize numbers can get very high. Im not taking this car to win at shows, but I want it to look good. I am willing to do all trim work and the engine rebuild myself. I have rebuilt a couple lt1 motors and 2 3800 v6s. I will not paint or mess with the carb.

Just a rough guess please!

The man wants only $500 for the car! I assume that 500 is a steal!

Wow can go wrong for 500. Your biggest expense will be paint depending on the level you take it. I've heard of a lower estimate around 2000.00 and from there paint costs can get crazy depending on the painter and his rep. If your doing most of the other work a car like that shouldn't be to bad since most parts in general are realitively cheap.

Comment

if the motor turns freely, just change the oil. and give it a tune up, as long as the oil pressure is good and theres no noise. drive it.
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

looks like a good find with potential...I would think more about taking it in steps verses just getting a restoration done to it...if you start by getting the car running and reliable drive train first, then body work and paint after...this way will be moving forward and you wont have to pay all up front and creating value as it goes...most shops have their seperate strengths..just my .02

Al
        Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Working...
        X