Way off topic: Need help from a computer guru

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way off topic: Need help from a computer guru

I do most of my office work on an IBM mainframe computer. The members of my partitioned datasets can be no longer than 8 characters with no extension.

It is often useful to FTP one of these members (these are programs) to my desktop computer where they are easier to modify than in TSO. They are transferred as text files.

After modification, I want to FTP them back to the mainframe. Of course, they have to be sent as a text file.

Here's the problem: The Windows operating system adds a .txt extension which must be removed for the mainframe to accept it.

Prior to our office's "upgrade" to Windows 7, I could see that extension in Windows Explorer and remove it. Now I can't.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Found the answer

Control Panel

Appearance and Personalization

Folder options

View

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click "OK"
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
    X